Nini Apologizes For Alleged Harassment

Harvard Sr. Vindicated After Being Ousted From Square Newsstand

By Michael M. Luo

The owner of Harvard Square newsstand Nini's Corner yesterday issued a public apology to a Harvard student who alleged he had been racially harassed there last week.

Philip Nini retracted earlier statements about the incident at a morning meeting at the Cambridge Human Rights Commission.

Nini met with the commission's executive director, Margot P. Kosberg, as well as Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III and the student, Richard A. Cole '95.

"[Nini] sincerely apologized to me and the entire Harvard community," said Cole.

Last Wednesday, Cole, a Dudley House affiliate who is Mexican-American, filed a racial harassment complaint with the commission.

Cole said Nini had "exercised selective expulsion" last Tuesday when Nini told Cole to leave the newsstand after Cole had browsed through a magazine for about five minutes.

In an interview last Thursday, Cole said Nini had upset him by repeatedly using Spanish phrases sarcastically when evicting him from the store.

According to Cole, Nini said at one point, "Get the fuck out my store...comprend?"

Both Nini and Cole expressed satisfaction yesterday that the matter was resolved.

"I'm glad it's over with. Thank God," Nini said.

"It's definitely a relief," Cole said.

The student said the meeting had been a constructive one--Nini apologized for his actions and promised not to discriminate in the future.

"After I recounted the situation, he basically apologized for everything he said," Cole said.

"I advised him against his practice of selective expulsion because that opens many doors to claims of racism," Cole added.

In an interview yesterday, Nini said that while the incident was unfortunate, he had not intended to make any reference to Cole's race or ethnicity.

"I'm a minority myself," said Nini, a second-generation Albanian-American. "I don't discriminate, and I don't like people that do that kind of thing."

But Nini conceded that there may have been a misunderstanding.

"I'm going to be a lot more careful in the future," Nini said. "I won't say anything anymore."

Nini defended his record with minorities. "I have a lot of minorities working for me," he said. "Ninety percent of my customers are minorities. I wouldn't be here for 34 years if I had treated them badly."

Yesterday, Nini retracted many of his earlier statements to The Crimson on the incident, including calling Cole a "screwball" and a "trouble-maker."

"No, he's not a screwball or anything," Nini said. "He seemed like a very nice boy when I met him in person."

Nini also originally claimed that Cole had been browsing in the store for a half hour, prompting him to ask the student to leave. But yesterday Nini corroborated Cole's version of the story.

Business Concerns

A concern for the welfare of his business was one of the factors that 'S

The Undergraduate Council, of which Cole is a member, passed a resolution Sunday asking students to boycott Nini's Corner.

Council President David L. Hanselman '94-'95 said yesterday that the council's official role is over now.

"I think the council's purposes were well served when Mr. Nini issued his apology," Hanselman said. "He realized that Harvard students will not tolerate racial bigotry."

But Hanselman called on students to remain aware of potential harassment from Nini.

"Harvard students should continue to keep a watchful eye on the store," Hanselman said.

Boycott organizer Will Rehling '86-'95 also said he was satisfied with the outcome of the dispute.

"Rich Cole is satisfied. The matter is resolved," Rehling said. "The boycott is over."

Rehling, Cole's fellow Dudley House council representative, said the boycott had demonstrated the power of the student body.

"I think we've proved that the student body can achieve things through collective action," Rehling said