W. Tennis Ends Year

Short-Handed Team Does Well at ITAs

By Anand S. Joshi

The Harvard women's tennis team took a beating from Harvard academics, but still managed a good showing at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's regional individual tournament held last weekend at Penn.

Heavy workloads forced first singles player Gina Majmudar and third singles player Rona Mayer to miss the tournament, which featured the top players from the eastern region.

Sickness forced second singles player Mylin Torres out of the tournament as well.

The Crimson's four spots in the singles draw were filled by a mix of youth and experience--junior co-captains Kate Roiter and Kelly Granat and freshmen Gabriela Hricko and Gina Suh.

Roiter, fourth on the Crimson depth chart, advanced furthest in the singles draw, winning her first four matches before falling to the third seed in the quarterfinals.

"Kate played the most consistent tennis I've seen from her in three years," head coach Gordon Graham said. "She was very patient and waited for her chances."

Hricko, who has played fifth singles for most of the fall, advanced to the third round before losing to the top seed, Erica O'Neill of Syracuse.

"There was no pressure going in," Hricko said. "I played well. Unfortunately, I just got a bad draw."

Suh, who was injured for most of the fall season, managed to advance to the third round before losing.

Granat received a bve in the first round before dropping her second round match.

"We all played pretty well," Suh said. "But it was hard without our top three. We weren't expecting to do that well."

Granat and Hricko teamed up to represent the Crimson in the 64-team doubles draw and advanced into the round of 16 before bowing out.

"Kelly and I have been playing a lot together," Hricko said. "It's really going well."

"They [Granat and Hricko] beat some good teams along the way," Graham said.

The several impressive wins by the lower half of the Crimson's starting line-up against the top players from other schools underscore Harvard's depth.

"I was really happy with the team performance," Graham said. "We made a pretty good showing."

The tournament concludes the Crimson's abbreviated fall season, which saw it go 3-1 in dual matches.

The Crimson's only loss came in the semi-finals of ITA Eastern Regional Team Championships to the top-seeded William and Mary squad.

The team will get a chance to avenge this loss in a dual match against William and Mary in late April.

Until then, the netwomen will have to set their sights on developing their young talent, solidifying the doubles positions and maybe catching up on some homework.