Brown Goes Down; W. Squash Victorious

By W. STEPHEN Venable

The Harvard women's squash team opened its dual meet and Ivy League season with an 8-1 win over Brown Friday night.

The team disposed of Brown fairly easily, using the match as a tune-up for bigger matches later in the season.

"It was a fun match to play," senior co-captain Libbie Eynon said.

Individually, Galt Niederhoffer and Rosie Stovell were singled out for their tough play against the Bears. Stovell played in the fifth slot for the Crimson, with Niederhoffer following at number six.

"Both Galt and Rosie played very well," Eynon said. "They were matched against even opponents and came out on top."

In a way, the match was a new experience for the Crimson. New Ivy rules require teammates to serve as referees during other matches of the contest.

"It is a rule to teach the players the specifics of the rules of squash," Eynon said.

There were some problems with the new system.

"There are still some players who are confused about the rules of the game." Eynon said.

Nevertheless, the team survived the rule change to bury Brown and continue its domination over the Ivy League. The team now prepares for the rest of its dual season, eventually hoping to bring home its fourth consecutive national title in March.

'It was a fun match to play.' Libby Eynon

The team will next travel to Amherst and then to Bowdoin for dual matches in December, before returning home to face the meat of its schedule in January and February. Harvard  8 Brown  1