Harvardians Steal Yale Flag

Seniors Snatch Eli Talisman; One Suffers a Broken Nose

By Jonathan A. Lewin

Harvard football players were not the only ones who took a beating at Saturday's Yale game.

One Yalie allegedly broke a Harvard student's nose while assaulting four Harvard students.

The Harvard students--who stole a Yale flag earlier in the game--said they were assaulted by Yale students as they made their way out of the stadium.

"We stole the flag!" exclaimed Sameer Ferrell '95. "We got the fucking Yale flag!"

Ferrell said he and his three accomplices took the flag down, which ignited angry Yalies.

"I was working with another guy," Ferrell said. "I saw two big guys tackle him, and I knocked them to the ground. Two of the guys tackled him again and broke his nose."

"Three ex-members of the Yale football team chased us," Ferrell said. "We were surrounded by Yale people, guys who were trying to get us left and right."

"They were huge," said Arzhang Kamarei '95, who defended Ferrell from Yale students trying to reclaim their flag.

William C. Slaughter '95 said he also blocked Yale attackers as Ferrell made off with the flag.

Ferrell said he carried the flag, which bore the Calhoun College coat of arms, away from the game back in a plastic bag under his coat, despite the attack.

Another Yale student tried to attack Ferell outside Winthrop House as he was returning home with the flag, Kamarei said.

"He was carrying a bat," Kamarei said. "And he was coming after us."

A woman saw Ferell with the flag at the game and identified herself as an associate dean of Yale College in an attempt to get back the flag, Kamarei said.

"I just said, 'That's nice,'" Ferrell said. "And took off."

Saturday evening, Sgt. Jon Miller of the Harvard University Police Department said that no report had been filed in connection with the incident.

The students said they are not sure what they will do with the Yale flag.

"I intend to piss on it and stomp on it," Ferrell said. "Maybe we will parade it through the Square."