BSA Holds Closed Meeting

75 Members Discuss Controversial Book 'The Bell Curve'

By David L. Greene

The Harvard-Radcliffe Black Students Association (BSA) held a closed meeting last night in which about 75 members discussed The Bell Curve, the controversial book co-authored by a late Harvard professor and a graduate of Harvard.

The meeting opened with a discussion of job opportunities and other general business, but was closed to the press during the discussion of the book. The meeting was closed at about 7:25 p.m. and lasted until about 8:10 p.m.

BSA President Kristen M. Clarke '97 said in an interview last night that "anyone who is interested" can attend the group's meetings. Later, however, she said meetings are open to members and students interested in becoming members.

Kenneth A. Polite '97, who attended the meeting, said that "most of the people" at the meeting were members of the BSA. But Polite added, "I believe that anyone is welcome to BSA meetings."

Students confirmed after the meeting that The Bell Curve was discussed.

"Obviously [we had] a very negative reaction to the book," Polite said.

Polite said BSA members believe The Bell Curve "is a very racist book."

"There are a number of ways the book can be attacked on academic and social grounds," he said.

The book, co-authored by late Harvard Professor Richard J. Herrnstein and Charles F. Murray '65, has triggered controversy on campus over the last few weeks.

Clarke herself, with Victoria Kennedy '97, wrote a letter to the Crimson attacking the book and citing opposing views linking melanin to "superior mental and physical abilities."

The letter was published last Friday.

The Bell Curve suggests links between race and intelligence, represented by IQ scores.

Some conservatives on campus have endorsed the book's findings, while others have maintained that it promotes bigotry.

Clarke and Polite both said that the BSA is not planning any reaction to the book.

The meeting was not convened to discuss the book or press coverage of it, Clarke said. It dealt mainly with "general business," including dues and job opportunities.