Footballers Battle 'War of Attrition'

Injuries Plague Gridders vs. Brown

By Matt Howitt

Every team fears them. Coaches loathe them. Every team worries about its star player waking up with a season-ending one. Every player worries about stepping off a curb and getting one.

The problem is injuries and they have become a major pain for Harvard football this season.

"Injuries happen," coach Tim Murphy said. "Football is largely a war of attrition at this time of the year."

Injuries decimated both the offensive and defensive lines and the receiving corps. Each play seemed to find a new Harvard player writhing on the ground in pain. The Harvard trainers should have started a shuttle bus service from the field to the sideline.

Junior offensive guard Danny Vereb severely sprained his medial collateral ligament late in the fourth quarter on the last offensive play of the game.

"I feel like my season is most likely over," Vereb said glumly.

Freshman defensive tackle Jason Hughes, who strained his medial collateral ligament (sound familiar?) against Dartmouth last week, did not feel sturdy enough to play in the second half.

"Lateral movement is the main problem," Hughes said. "I am hoping to play but I am far from certain."

Junior flanker Mike Halligan reinjured his tender hamstring at the end of the first half.

"Mike wanted to go back but couldn't run without pain," said defensive rover Keith Meister, who himself had to sit out a couple of plays with a shoulder stinger. "I know he's pretty sore and won't be able to practice tomorrow. He's definitely questionable for the Penn game."

Freshman wide receiver Colby Skelton injured his hip pointer diving for a pass on the first series of the game and did not return. While the injury is extremely painful, Skelton desperately wants to be on the bus that leaves for Penn next Friday.

"I just have to ice it, rest it and do what trainers tell me," Skelton said. "It really only hurts when I run. I assume I will not practice for a couple days. However, I really want to play on Saturday."

At that wasn't the half of it.

Starting defensive tackle John Brown was injured in the Dartmouth game and did not dress for the game or practice all week.

Backup tailback Kweli Thompson and starting defensive tackle did not dress because of another knee injury.

But wait, there's more.

Five players were brought off the field for a couple of plays with minor injuries. Doug Anderson, Kevin Dwan, Keith Meister and Zack Knight were all forced to take plays off because of injury. All eventually returned to the game, however.

All told, nine starters either had to come out of the game or did not play at all. On most teams--including this one, that kind of sideline shuffle does not make for a positive final score.

"Our lack of depth caught up with us," first-year coach Tim Murphy said. "When we have all our best guys in there and we're healthy, we're not a bad football team."