Crimson Oversteps Its Bounds

To The Editor:

The Crimson has a long history of thwarting efforts, breeding conflict and dwarfing the more controversial and significant issues in pursuit of its own particular interests ("Clarke Should Retract Statements," Opinion, Nov. 4, 1994).

Firstly, I refuse to retract my statements nor bow to the paternalistic style of journalism that The Crimson endorses.

Secondly, in regards to charges of my bigotry, I will again repeat the statement that was printed in The Crimson on Oct. 28, 1994: "The information [the Melanin Theory] is not necessarily something we believe but some information we think those pursuing a true understanding of the Bell curve Theory should either address, ignore or refute."

As I made clear to The Crimson editorial staff on Oct. 27, of the numerous flaws and inconsistencies found in the Bell curve Theory , was its failure to address counter-arguments and proposals. Should Murray and Herrnstein attempt to be so bold as to assert the inferiority of Black people it should also tackle refuting claims and theories--particularly those derived by Black scholars. The Bell curve Theory is both weak in its presentation and false in its claims.

Thirdly, The Crimson has no authority whatsoever to dictate the terms by which ethnic student organizations should operate. To mandate my resignation The Crimson embraces a paternalistic-style agenda that aims to damage and destruct the efforts of Black students, faculty and administrators. Over the past 15 months, perpetuated attacks have been launched against Rev. Gomes, Dean Archie Epps, Dr. Alien Counter, Mayor Ken Reeves, Professor martin Kilson, and now myself. The Crimson seems to operate under some poorly hidden agenda in which its editors unsuccessfully aim to break others down in an attempt to rebuild its own questionable image.

And finally, The Crimson's efforts to dwarf the original issue concerning the Bell curve Theory suggests some dangerous, alterior motive. I have yet to see The Crimson attack the real "bigotry" at work--that of Murray and Herrnstein who support the legitimization of racism. Kristen Clarks '97

The writer is president of the Black Students Association.