Panel Discusses The Pill at Rindge

Plan Would Make Birth Control Available at High School

By C.r. Mcfadden

In a public hearing yesterday before the Cambridge School Committee, a panel of area physicians defended a proposal to make Cambridge Rindge and Latin the first high school in the state to distribute birth control pills to students.

Before an audience of nearly 200 Cambridge residents, the doctors talked for about three hours in a generally calm discussion punctuated by occasional questions. The school committee will vote on the issue next Tuesday, December 6.

The new proposal would give students direct access to birth control pills as well as Depo-Provera, a three-month birth-control injection, and Norplant, a contraceptive surgical implant which lasts about five years.

Currently, students can only obtain condoms in the school, through its Teen Health Center, an on-campus branch of Cambridge Hospital. In 1990, the high school became the first public high school in Massachusetts to distribute condoms.

The purpose of the health center is to provide comprehensive health care to Cambridge teenagers, supporters of the new proposal said yesterday.

"As a pediatrician, I can only recommend prevention," said David Link, chief of pediatrics at Cambridge Hospital. "Contraception represents the best current approach to stopping teenage pregnancy."

Panelists also said the high school health center is the only clinic in the city that cannot provide a full range of birth control. The nearest pharmacy is more than 20 minutes away. As a result, some students do not get their prescriptions filed, they said.

"Our policy of not dispensing birth control has been a huge burden and an unfair barrier," Michelle Holmes, physician at North Cambridge Health Center said.

The physicians also said that since the clinic is located right on campus, doctors will be able to check on their patients and help guide their behavior.

"All health clinics can dispense birth control, but they can't provide the rapport that we do," said Elizabeth Miller, the health center's medical director.

To support the claim that the availability of birth control does not lead to increased sexual activity, the physicians pointed to a 1992 survey which showed that the amount of sexual activity among Rindge and Latin students remained stable at about 50 percent between 1989 and 1992. At the same time, condom use rose from 54 to 77 percent.

The main concern among school committee members was whether students should be able to choose long-term birth control devices. School Committee member Alfred Fantini cited a study linking Norplant to depression, headaches, and weight gain.

"Without parental consent... I am not comfortable that children will understand these risks and be able to deal with them," said Fantini, who voted against distributing condoms in 1990.

Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 also said that teenagers might not understand the long-term consequences of their decision.

"I'm concerned making a five-year decision with Norplant is somewhat pushing it," he said.

Cambridge Hospital Chief Administrator John O'Brien said that despite possible side effects, the clinic must be able to provide a complete range of birth control.

"I'd like to express grave concern about public officials interfering with the provision of care... [and] limiting the doctor/patient relationship," he said

Miller also said that all students are evaluated for their ability to understand their decisions.

"We didn't force anyone into a method they're not ready to receive," she said."

School Committee member Joseph Grassi also said that the schools have always emphasized parental involvement and "this program does not take that into account."

Without requiring parental consent, the proposal undermines the bonds between parents and their children, Grassi said.

But supporters countered that many students cannot turn to their parents for such a personal decision.

"Every day in the halls... I walk by a teen parent," said high school junior Shenita Cosby. "When only a small fraction feel comfortable talking to their parents, we need to be able to go to someone nearby whom we trust.