Gilmore's Treys Lead B-Ball

Junior Swingman's Five Three-Pointers One Shy of Record

By Peter K. Han

One highlight stood out on Saturday amid the Harvard basketball team's disappointing loss to Lehigh.

Actually, make that five highlights.

That was the number of three pointers hit by junior swingman Mike Gilmore, who nearly tied the school's single-game record of six treys.

"It was a pleasure to see," said Harvard Coach Frank Sullivan. "I know it's been something that's been bothering Michael for some time. He was recruited to hit those shots, and I know he was frustrated so far this season. I'm proud that he stuck in there."

Gilmore, who was the team's best long-range shooter last year, entered Saturday's contest having hit only three-of-14 attempts beyond the three-point stripe this season.

With his five-of-seven performance against Lehigh, he seems out of his slump.

"I haven't been shooting well," Gilmore said. "It felt good to get a rhythm going. I haven't been getting many shots, but I had some good chances at the end today when we were trying to catch up."

Indeed, three of Gilmore's missles came in the game's critical closing minutes.

After a first half in which he hit two quiet treys, one from the top of the key and the other from deep on the right side, the California native poured it on in the home stretch.

First, with 6:19 remaining, Gilmore scored from the right corner to pull Harvard within 62-55. Then, with 2:55 left, he hit an NBA-range bomb to get the Crimson within nine, 70-61. Finally, with 1:09 left, he hit again from the left side to make the score 76-67.

The shots were especially impressive because the Lehigh defense gave Gilmore few openings.

"He looked like a real good shooter," said Rawshanne Glenn, who led Lehigh with 25 points. "He had his stroke going today. I have to give him credit. We played pretty good 'D' on him, but he hit some tough shots."

Gilmore, who once scored 45 points in a high school game, had never hit more than four trifectas in a single college game before Saturday.

His 21-point performance against Lehigh, which led Harvard and which matched his college career high, now offers some hope to the struggling Crimson.

"It was good to see him shoot well, because we really need that," Sullivan said. "We need that from our other guys, too, especially when our opponents are hitting their shots, like they were today."