Police Arrest Campus Trespasser

By Marios V. Broustas

Harvard police arrested Cambridge resident Timothy J. Price at the Medford, Mass. state police barracks Sunday for violating a court order that he stay off University property.

At the time of his arrest by Harvard police, Price was being held in Medford on an outstanding warrant for violating his probation, according to police reports.

Price, 30, has been involved in a series of incidents on campus, including a pair of Quincy House burglaries. Harvard police have arrested him at least three times, according to records.

But Price has only been convicted once, in 1992, for a 1991 treapassing charge. After that conviction, a judge in the Cambridge Third District Court ordered him to stay away from Harvard property.

He also faced charges from police in connection with an April 1990 incident. That month, Harvard police arrested Price, under the alias Lawrence Spencer, for trespassing in the Malkin Athletic Center (MAC).

But before Price could be brought to the Cambridge police department for holding, he fled from police.

Price ran through the Western Ave. parking lot, where he was being handcuffed, to Franklin St. Three police officers chased Price and finally captured him in the backyard of a Franklin St. house. In June 1990, Price stood trial for that charge and was acquitted.

But Price's run-ins with Harvard police did not end there.

While playing video games in the Quincy House recreational room in March 1991, Price was recognized by several Harvard students as the suspect wanted for two separate February burglaries in the house.

When police approached Price, he told them he was visiting a friend in the house. But the officer recognized Price from the trespassing incident at the MAC.

Price was arrested for trespassing again and transported to the Harvard police department.

An officer there identified Price as the person he saw outside Quincy House shortly before the burglaries. He was charged with breaking and entering.

Later that month, a series of 26 pictures were shown to the four burglary victims, but they could not positively identify Price. The breaking and entering charge was dismissed in, March 1992.

But in a court decision handed down a year later, Price was ordered to stay away from all Harvard property. The reason given was Price's acknowledgment that he had trespassed in the Quincy House game room.

Six days after charges were dropped in 1992, another warrant was issue for his arrest. Nearly two years since that warrant. Price was finally arrested in Medford when he failed to pay a probation-related fine.

After the arrest, he was transported to the Cambridge police department for booking.

Police, court and jail officials said Price is not currently being detained. Efforts to reach him and his family were unsuccessful.Crimson File PhotoHarvard University Police installed this surveilance equipment in Widener Library in 1992 as part of its investigation into the Widener book slashings.