Lady Cagers Shine in Florida

Beat North Texas and South Florida to Win Holiday Classic

By Amit A. Tiwari

The Harvard women's basketball team is finally living up to its potential.

For years, the Crimson has laced up talented players, only to see them bow at the prospect of unfulfilled promise. Last year's squad was a good example; expected to vie for top honors in the league, it finished a measly 7-19, its worst record since the 1983-84 season. Further evidence has been the squad's poor performance at invitationals; before this weekend, it hadn't won a tournament since 1987.

This year, however, things are different.

"This year, all of the returning players worked their butts off in the off-season," sophomore Elizabeth Gettelman said earlier this season. We want to prove to everyone that we're the best team in the league."

Led by a corps of talented freshman, including leading scorer and rebounder Allison Feaster (19.8 and 13.4, respectively), the Crimson has a respectable 7-3 record. Also, after this weekend, it has a tournament championship.

The squad defeated both North Texas and host South Florida to win the annual Holiday Classic Tournament in Tampa, Flor.

Crimson senior captain Tammy Butler was named the tournament Most Valuable Player with 46 points and 13 rebounds over the event's two days. Butler led the team in field goals and minutes played for both games.

The victory represents the season's highlight thus far for the Crimson. It is only the second time the Cagers have won a tournament in Coach Kathy Delaney Smith's 13 years at Harvard; the last win came at the 1987 Harvard Invitational.

The five starters for the Crimson were Butler, juniors Amy Reinhard, Jessica Gelman, and Elizabeth Proudfit, and freshman Allison Feaster. Both Proudfit and Feaster were among the five players to be named to the All-Tournament Team.

Feaster kicked off Saturday's game for the Crimson with a short jumper to tie the score at 2-2. The game was pretty even throughout, with neither team ever leading by more than two baskets. The Crimson controlled the game at halftime, 40-36.

The Crimson wisely saved all of its time outs for the end of the second half, taking three in the final 1:08. With 56 seconds remaining, Proudfit scored to bring the Crimson lead to 78-73.

North Texas quickly responded to the basket, however, with a clutch 3-point shot off of the right wing. Both teams took their final time outs and the Crimson maintained possession to close the game with a final score of 78-76.

In the championship game against Delaware, Harvard raced to an 8-0 lead just three minutes into the game, thanks to some tag-team action from Butler and Reinhard, and never looked back en route to a 75-60 victory.

Butler set the rhythm of the game by scoring from under the rim for the game's first basket off a pass from Reinhard. The team captain followed up the basket with a scoop from underneath.

Then Reinhard stole the ball and scored off a beautiful drive to the hoop. She similarly followed up with a deuce from the inside.

The Cagers were never down and led by as many as 16 points. Delaware could not come within striking distance. Butler led the team with 21 points and eight rebounds. Feaster added 18 points and 11 rebounds, while Proudfit tallied 12 points.

The team will next be in action at home against Northeastern on January 3 at 7:30 p.m.

"There is a real positive attitude on the team," Gettleman said, "Everyone has come into this season with a common goal--to win the lvy Title. We have the talent, the players and the depth." Harvard  78 N. Texas  76

Harvard  75 Delaware  60

Harvard  75 Delaware  60