Frantz Named Football Captain

By W. STEPHEN Venable

With the 1994 Harvard football season coming to a close, the Crimson is already looking to next season.

In the first step toward next season, Justin Frantz, a Mather House junior, was elected captain of the 1995 Crimson squad.

Frantz plays inside linebacker for Harvard and had an outstanding campaign this past season. He led the Crimson in tackles, racking up 61 primary sticks and 37 assists. The 98-tackle year ranked him third on the Harvard all-time single-season tackling chart.

Against Cornell, Frantz made 18 tackles, the Crimson's top defensive performance of the season. Frantz was also named to the Ivy League Weekly Honor Roll for his performance against Penn.

"The players made an outstanding choice," said head coach Tim Murphy. "I can't think of a better person to lead the team. Justin has a great work ethic and exemplifies all the qualities a captain should possess."

The announcement came at the football team's end-of-the-season banquet held last week at the Harvard Club of Boston.

At the banquet, the end-of-season awards were also given out, recognizing outstanding contributions to the squad.

Sophomore tailback Eion Hu picked up the prestigious Frederick Greeley Crocker Award, which is bestowed on the team's Most Valuable Player.

The Crocker award capped an incredible season for Hu, who is also the leading candidate to pick up the Ivy League Rookie of the Year Award later this month.

Hu rushed for 1,011 yards on the season, becoming only the second Harvard rusher in history to break the millenium marker. He also scored 11 touchdowns on the season, which ranked second on the all-time Harvard charts.

Hu is the second sophomore and the second non-senior to win the Crocker Award in its 46-year history.

Senior linebacker Bill Forlano was also honored at the banquet as the winner of the Lamar Award. The Lamar Award is a pocket watch that goes to a player who has made a unique commitment to the Harvard team.

Senior defensive end Doug Anderson won the Kennedy Award, given for desire, determination and willingness to be a valuable team member.