North House Braces for Name Change

Students Shocked, Upset Over Switch

By Manlio A. Goetzl

One day after the abrupt announcement that North House will become Pforzheimer House, residents say they are still getting over their initial shock.

But while many students say they are upset at the change, others say they are getting used to the new name, which will go into effect this spring, according to University spokesperson Joe Wrinn.

North House Co-Masters J. Woodland and Hanna Hastings announced the name change to residents in an emergency house meeting Monday night.

"There was a lot of shock," said assistant senior tutor Dexter E. Callender. "They did not know what to expect."

In fact, after Woodland Hastings announced the name change at the meeting, students began to laugh, thinking his speech was a joke, according to residents who attended the meeting.

"We all laughed, then we stopped," said Alynda D. Wheat '96. "We thought something funny was going to happen and something funny did happen."

Ed M. Gong '97 said residents "were not sure if it was a joke or not."

"Pforzheimer--it was pretty fun- ny," he said.

Some students in the House still had not gotten over their initial surprise yesterday and remained upset over the new name.

Callender said that he spoke to several students who were still noticeably distraught over the name change.

"I did speak to a junior who was upset about it," Callender said. "She wanted to know if the change would appear on her diploma or change her mail [address]."

Many residents said that it will take a while for them to get used to, or accept, the idea of living in Pforzheimer House.

"I'm worried that changing the name of house will change the character and atmosphere of the house," said Hilary S. Suzawa '97.

Wheat said he preferred the old "North."

"I understand that the Pforzheimers have done a lot for the University, but isn't it a little long?" she asked. "Pforzheimer, the Pfabulous house with the Pfunny name."

"We're upset but resolved," Wheat added. "We know we can't fight the University."

Some students expressed anger that house and University officials did not discuss the name change with them beforehand.

"It was stupid. Everyone I know liked the name 'North,'" said David R. Revelle '95-'96. "It was unfair to change the name without consulting us at all."

Revelle added, "I think I know a grand total of one person who is not opposed to changing the name."

Woodland Hastings said that although students were initially upset over the name change, he believes they will eventually accept the Pforzheimer name.

"All of us develop loyalties to a name," he said. "Students take strong positions about that, but hopefully they will mellow with time and they will come around."

Some residents yesterday did not think the name change was so bad and even managed to maintain a sense of humor in spite of their surprise at Monday's announcement.

"Even though I really like the name North House, I don't think it will be so bad," Gong said. "If you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?"

Others saw an opportunity for economic gain as a result of the new name.

"I was surprised. I had gotten used to North House," said resident tutor in economics Terry Burnham. "I guess all the North House t-shirts are going to be valuable now."

University officials affiliated with the house yesterday also applauded the change and effusively praised the Pforzheimer family's contributions to the university.

"I think it was a very appropriate decision. The Pforzheimer family have been longtime active supporters of Harvard and Radcliffe of activities," said Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57. "Their support has cut across more than one generation."

Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and North House associate Christoph J. Wolff agreed.

"I think it's a wonderful thing," he said. "The Pforzheimer family has done so much for this University."

--Jeremy L. McCarter contributed to the reporting of this article.