Police Contract Approved

Manning Breaks 18-Month Impasse

By Joe Mathews

After lengthy and often bitter negotiations, the Harvard Police officers' union has voted to approve a new contract, according to several sources.

One source termed support for the contract "overwhelming" The vote in favor of the pact was 30-3 by one count.

Officer Robert Kotowski, the head of the union, said a formal signing ceremony should take place later this week. Kotowski said details of the agreement will be disclosed at that time.

Officers have been working with out a contract for 18 months, and the approval may help to ease tensions between the police department management and the officers.

"I think everyone is basically happy," one senior department official said. "It's good that this is out of way."

But one source said yesterday that a stumbling block remains to finalizing the pact. That block may be a pay scale closely tied to the education of officers. Sources were unable to provide further details.

Timothy Manning, Harvard's new director of labor relations, seems to have broken the impasse in the negotiations. Contacted last night, he declined to comment.

Associate Director of Labor Relations Carolyn R. Young '76 handled the negotiations for more than a year. Kotowskiand source have blamed her for the lack ofprogress towards a contract and for the oftencontentious nature of the negotiations.

During the time they worked worked without acontract, Harvard's officers waged an unusualpublic relations battle against the University.

The campaign, which accused Harvard ofeverything from mismanagement to watering down itscrime reports to the public, included flyers,banners and even a sign-toting airplane duringHead of the Charles weekend.

Brian D. Sinclair '62, the police departmentadministrator, refused to comment last night,referring all questions to Police Chief Paul E.Johnson.

Johnson could not be reached for comment