Election Group Member May Be Out

By Jeffrey N. Gell

The Cambridge Democratic Committee fired a salvo against long-term incumbency last night, and Sondra Scheir's 20-year stranglehold on a member's seat on the Cambridge Election Commission appeared to come to an end.

Committee members ranked two other candidates above Scheir in a list of nominees that will be submitted to City Manager Robert W. Healy.

The city manager traditionally chooses the top-ranked nominee for membership, according to Democratic Committee President Gerry McDonough. And for that reason, Scheir's career on the commission looks to be over.

Committee members voted Lynne Molnar, a management consultant, their top choice for the position, followed by Clifford A. Truesdell '66, an attorney.

Molnar said both the election results and electoral process pleased her.

"I thought this was very fairly done," Molnar said. "I'm happy, and the city manager is now ready to make his choice, traditionally the first slot."

Despite the vote, Scheir would not concede defeat last night.

"I'm pleased to have been among the three [nominees]," Scheir said. "The city manager will do what he thinks is right."

Molnar and Truesdell campaigned on a slate with Phyllis Simpkins, who failed to win the third nomination. The slate said the election commission shouldserve as an advisory rather than an administrativebody.

"I do believe it's time to change the electioncommission," Molnar said. "The commission shouldregister more voters, educate more citizens andfocus on electoral integrity."

Molnar asked voters to elect her to the firstposition, Truesdell to the second and Simpkins tothe third.

But Scheir said the slate of candidatescompaigned primarily to challenge her leadership,not to advocate new policies.

"It's been 18 years since a slate has run forthe position of election commissioner," Scheirsaid. "There appears to be no other purpose thanto prevent my nomination... and I don't think myeffort deserves this."

George Pillsbury, a student at the KennedySchool of Government, initially ran for theposition but last night asked voters to remove hisname from consideration.

"I've asked to be nominated to finish to[campaign] process, but I will not be able toserve," Pillsbury said. "One thing that's relatedto this election is the long-term incumbencyissue--it's a vote about the role of democracy."

Molnar won the first position over Scheir by a70-56 margin, with two abstentions. For the secondposition, Truesdell prevailed over Scheir by a64-63 margin, again with two abstentions.

But Scheir finally defeated Simpkins for thethird potion, 68-60, with one abstention.

Former Cambridge Mayor Alice K. Wolf challengedthe second election because Truesdell did notreceive a majority of the votes of all presentcommittee members.

But former City Councillor David E. Sullivancited the 1978 election of George Goverman to thecommission, despite not receiving a majority, tojustify the Truesdell vote. A court case, Burnsv. Sullivan, upheld the 1978 election,Sullivan said.

Teresa S. Neighbor, the executive director ofthe Election Commission whom Scheir had attackedlast fall, said she would "prefer not to commentat this time." Neighbor did indicate that the citymanager will make his final decision oncommissioner by April 1.

Several current city council members werepresent at the election, and many supportedScheir's challengers. Kathleen L. Born and FrancesH. Duehay '55 voted for Molnar, Truesdell andSimpkins, while Timothy J. Toomey Jr. chose Scheirfor all positions. Jonathan S. Myers supportedMolnar for the first position but voted for Scheirin the final two elections. Mayor Kenneth E.Reeves '72, a committee member, was not present atthe meeting