Theta Officers Distance Group From 'Lynx' Club

By Margaret Isa

Officers of the local chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta are denying that their organization is related to the "Lynx," a new all-female social group.

"I want it to be clear that Theta is not linked with the Lynx," said Melissa A. Rohrbach '95, Theta's vice president for public relations. "If its members are, I don't want those members to be claiming positions with Theta."

The "President and Members" of the Lynx sent a number of Harvard women an invitation to a tea at the Ritz Carlton last week. Organizers refuse to say whether the group is a final club.

The Crimson on Tuesday reported that Melissa B. Fisher '94 said she was a founding member and acting rush chair of Theta and that Fisher's name and phone number appear on the Lynx's invitation as the person to R.S.V.P.

Rohrbach denied that Fisher is an officer of Theta, saying that all members are helping with the group's rush.

"Melissa Fisher is not the acting rush chair," Rohrbach said. "Relative to other people who are helping out, she has no reason to claim that. People are doing more than she is."

Theta's president, Jennifer R. Brosnahan '95, said she is concerned with Fisher's claim that she is a Theta officer because her involvement with the Lynx might reflect negatively on Theta. "Theta is so different from the final clubs," Brosnahan said.

Fisher told The Crimson on Monday that she resigned form the position of rush co-chair after last fall's rush. She said she considers herself acting rush chair because she has taken over the duties of the official rush chair, who is away this semester.

Fisher said yesterday of her earlier statements: "I wouldn't have said that." She amended her comments to says she is just "helping out" with Theta's rush.

Fisher had dinner last night in Kirkland House with about five other women, a source said. The women include HeatherL. Bowie '96, Jennifer W. Grove '94 and MargaretL. Roberts '96, all members of Theta.

Roberts, the house manager of Theta, isinvolved with creation of the Lynx, sources said.Roberts refused to say whether the Lynx had ameeting yesterday.

Bowie is currently co-social chair of Theta,Rohrbach said. Grove is Fisher's roommate.

Theta is a "women's fraternity" which conductsan open rush process, unlike the final clubs'closed punch, Rohrbach said.

Although it is not recognized by theUniversity, the Theta chapter formed by Harvardwomen last January is recognized by the nationalKappa Alpha Theta organization and by the NationalPan-Hellenic Council