AAA Holds Repeat Elections

Vote of Confidence Confirms Cho, Ching

By Todd F. Braunstein

Alex H. Cho '96 and Jennifer Ching '96 were elected co-presidents of the Asian American Association (AAA) last night. Again. Sort of.

In a sparsely attended meeting in Emerson Hall, AAA held a second set of elections after results from the original round on Dec. 16 were invalidated by a constitutional violation and allegations of unfair procedure.

The three sets of candidates who had originally challenged Cho and Ching declined to run again, so the dual presidency was confirmed by a vote of confidence.

Cho and Ching had been named co-presidents on Dec. 16 with a plurality, rather than a constitutionally required majority, of the vote. Outgoing AAA Co-president Joan R. Cheng '95 noted that the new elections also attempted to alleviate charges of an unfair speaking order and question selection.

Since the club's election procedures provide for a mechanism by which losing candidates may try for lower offices, all the original appointments were annulled. S

In a short speech to the club members, Chosaid, "What we have been unable to do is make fulluse of our membership. And that's what we intendto change."

Ching added that she hopes "that the badfeeling [stirred by the process] can be put behindus."

Erica S. Cheng '96, a losing presidentialcandidate in the first vote along with herpartner, Spencer Lee '95, said a lack ofmotivation compelled her not to seek election thistime.

"For me, the incentive to run just wasn'tthere," she said. "I don't have the desire toimplement the changes I wanted to originally."Besides, she added, "different priorities came upin [Lee's life] and my life."

Several of the former candidates, however, saidthey agreed that a second round of elections wasnecessary.

"We appreciate the purpose of the elections,but we withdraw," said Paul Kim '96 and Tony Ling'96, as they declined to run again.

Erica Cheng added that, had the Decemberelections stood, Cho and Ching "would have beenelected unconstitutionally, which no one wouldhave wanted."

In December, the speaking order for thecandidates, was determined by the order in whichthey were nominated. Also, question selection wasarbitrary and thus potentially unfair, said JohnCheng. This time, speaking order was determinedrandomly.

Also, former AAA treasurer Badsah K.Mukhopadhyay '94, who has been inactive in theorganization for several years, was called in asan impartial moderator, said Joan Cheng.

Steve Lim '97, who had been elected vicepresident in December, once again claimed AAA'ssecond-highest post