Expo's Teachers Charge Contest Rule Violations

Sources Claim Some Expose Essays Improperly Entered; Head Preceptor Says Recalls Permitted

By Joe Mathews

Teachers in the Expository Writing Program are charging that administrators did not follow proper procedures in the selection of essays for publication in the program's fall issue of Expose.

At least three essays that had been eliminated by the contest's teacher judges were later added to a short list of contest finalists, according to six Expos teachers.

And at least one essay that was not entered in the contest was published in the magazine, two sources said.

"It's a contest," said one teacher. "It's supposed to be intellectually clean. But this was rigged."

But Stephen Donatelli, the head preceptor of Expos 17 and the Expose managing editor, said that four Expos administrators who served as senior judges of the contest were permitted to "recall" essays that did not make the first cut or had not been entered.

He said that teachers may have been confused because the contest lacks written rules. Donatelli and Associate Director Nancy Sommers, who was one of the four senior judges, both said that Expos teachers will eventually formalize contest procedures.

Such explanations have fallen flat with the six teachers. They said no option of "recall" was discussed with the teacher judges.

Expose is a collection of essays which are submitted by Expos students, often at the suggestion of their teachers. Students are required to fill out a form and remove their names from submitted essays. Two hundred forty essays were submitted last year.

The teachers, who spoke on the condition that both they and the students who wrote the essays in question not be identified, alleged that Sommers and Senior Preceptor Gordon Harvey were behind the contest irregularities.

The teachers said they were not sure whySommers and Harvey allegedly fixed the contest.

Sommers, however, said she was not closelyinvolved with the selection process, which wascompleted during the summer, and referredquestions to Donatelli. Harvey did not returnphone calls yesterday.

This is not the first time Sommers, who islikely to become the next Expos director, has beencharged with fixing the Expose contest.Four years ago, according to two former Exposemployees, Sommers herself allegedly violated thecontest rules by entering an essay written by oneof her own students. The essay, which Sommershelped to judge, was published and the student wona cash prize.

Sommers has vigorously denied that allegation,and the student who wrote that winning essay couldnot be reached for comment.

Donatelli said he cares "passionately" aboutstandardizing the selection process. He pointedout that more teachers participated in judgingessays this year than ever before.

"It's a transitional moment," Donatelli said,"and I think it will be good for the magazine.