U.C. Sets Special Elections

By Todd F. Braunstein

Special elections to fill vacancies in the Undergraduate Council will be conducted this week in Lowell House and Leverett House, council Vice President Joshua D. Liston '95 said yesterday.

Three other vacancies that have emerged in the last month were filled at Sunday's council meeting when two new delegates from Cabot House and one from North House assumed their seats.

And former council Secretary Randall A. Fine '96 decided not to seek the North House seat, despite speculation that he would try a comeback after narrowly losing a race for a seat last fall.

The Lowell House election, scheduled for Thursday and Friday of this week, will be hotly contested as four residents vie for the position.

This abundance of candidates is curious considering that just five candidates sought the house's five seats in the fall.

Rene Reyes '95, a Lowell delegate and former council treasurer, said he saw no particular reason for the sudden burst of interest in serving the council. He said he believed each candidate developed an interest in the council this fall.

The candidates are Leemore S. Dafny '95, Jonathan C. Patricof '96, Brad E. White '95 and Robert R. Zamacona '95.

In Leverett, the contest will be between two candidates, Willie David Williams '95 and Diep N. Nguyen '95. That election will also be conducted on Thursday and Friday.

At Sunday's meeting, the council welcomed Jay H Dritz '95 of North House and Anne K. Lukasewycz '95 and Lori J. Park '96 of Cabot House.

The new delegates had been the only ones in their respective houses to declare their candidacy for the seats before Sunday's 5 p.m. deadline. Fine listed several reasons for his decision not to pursue the North House seat.

First and foremost, fine said he "had no burning desire" to serve the council. Another reason, Fine said, was his faith that Dritz would be an effective delegate.

"I spoke to him and he sounded enthusiastic," Fine said. "I got the impression he would do a really good job. So I saw no reason to run."

He also said North House "didn't need another competitive election" in the wake of an unusually divisive house committee election earlier this month.