SPH Polls Students On Alcohol, Drugs

By Emily Carrier

Researchers at the School of Public Health last week sent a survey to students at 140 U.S. colleges including Harvard, on a subject dear to the hearts of most undergraduates--alcohol use.

"We're looking at factors that are related to alcohol use, including and particularly heavy alcohol use," said survey coordinator Henry Wechsler, a lecturer at the School of Public Health.

"We're particularly concerned with the effect of schools' alcohol policies," ha said.

Over the last 12 years, college students have tended to smoke and use drugs less often, but continue to drink alcohol at a relatively steady rate, according to Wechsler.

Result will be used by "a variety of groups" in future studies, Wechsler said.

The 11-page questionnaire follows a year of planning by five researchers at the school's College Alcohol Study and asks students to describe their personal experiences with drinking, as well as their schools' policies on alcohol and drug use.

The survey also covers other aspects of student life. Questions range form "In general, how happy are you these days?" to "Have you ever taken any drugs like heroin cocaine, or anabolic steroids by injection with a needle?"

Students taking the survey are informed that participation is completely voluntary and that they need not answer any question which makes them uncomfortable. All responses, Wechsler said, will remain completely anonymous--the surveys themselves are bubble forms without a space for students to write their names.

Many questions relate to common but illegal behaviors, such as underage drinking and use of fake identification.

Despite the sensitive nature of some of the questions, Wechsler expects a response rate of around 70 percent.

Wechsler declined to speculate whether survey responses would demonstrate a correlation between university alcohol policies and undergraduate drinking behavior.

A public statement might influence the responses of students who are still completing their questionnaires, he said.

The success of the study depends on candid responses, Wechsler said, since outside observers have little access to student social life.

"That sort of [drinking behavior] is not out in the open," he said. "Even though I work at Harvard, I don't go to the parties students give."