Hebron Attack Stuns Students

Violence Dismays Undergrads

By Geoffrey C. Hsu

Harvard students reacted with shock, anger and sadness this weekend to an incident on Friday in which a Jewish doctor fired a gun into a West Bank mosque, killing 39 and wounding more than 350.

In the days following the massacre in Hebron, which proved the worst violence in the occupied territory in 27 years, popular horror still remains as national and local leaders try to assess the consequences of the tragedy on the future of the Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.

"Obviously your sentiments are shocked when this happens, whether the [victims] are Muslim, Jewish or Christian," said Hashen E. Montasser '97, an Egyptian Muslim.

Elie G. Kaunfer '95, chair of the Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel, said news of the massacre interrupted a traditional meal Friday afternoon for Jewish students at the Hillel celebrating Purim, a Jewish holiday.

"Everyone in the room was incredibly upset, very angry, and just shocked at the actions of this crazy man in Hebron," said Kaunfer, who is senior editor of the Crimson.

Zainab Khan '96, a Muslim from Pakistan, said she was horrified and angry that a massacre could occur in a mosque during prayer, especially during Ramadan, the Muslim holy month.

Khan had said prayers similar to those said by the slain Palestinians in the mosque of Memorial Church on Friday.

"During all the words and everything, I just kept thinking somebody could just come in here and start firing," Khan said.

Jewish, Muslim, Israeli and Palestinian students alike said the tragedy was a terrible example of one man's actions possibly jeopardizing the future of peace between two peoples. Some students said they were pessimistic about the peace in Israel after the incident.

"It certainly sets back the peace process, probably by years," said Kaunfer.

But others said the massacre has not changed any of the original objections they had with the peace-plan since its inception.

President of the Society of Arab Students Radi M. Annab '95 said the massacre would have little effect on peace, since the intrinsic plan doesn't adequately deal with the feeling of West Bank residents.

"It's one thing to have peace between leaders, but it's different having peace in the actual territories," said Annab, who is a Crimson editor. I hope it just becomes a more realistic peace, and more focused on the people, not just issues that look good on paper."

Many said the massacre underscores the essential difficulties that exist in the region and among peoples that have been warring for centuries.

"When Palestinians are killed, the Palestinians are put under curfew, but Israeli settlers aren't punished at all," said Masood A Razaq '96. "This is the first time Israeli settlements have been shut down."

Other students raised fears about the report inthe last two days by some Arabs that Israelisoldiers outside the mosque were slow to react tothe killing inside.

"I hope it's not true, but it's hard to believethat one man can kill 40 people and wound over 150with just one machine gun. I heard he was standingthere for 15 minutes and there were Israelisoldiers right outside the mosque," Annab said."It's just unbelievable, because [the soldiersare] there to protect both Israelis andPalestinians from fanatics."

Martin Lebwohl '96 co-chair of Harvard Studentsfor Israel, said it was possible that armysoldiers couldn't enter the mosque with peopleentering and exiting during the pandemonium of themoment.

"It is absurd to think that the Israeligovernment could support such a self-destructivemethod that really destroys what they've tried tobuild," Lebwohl said. "I'm sure the Israeligovernment will investigate."

"If anyone can walk in a mosque and shooteveryone, especially during Ramadan, then thisplace is unsafe, contrary to what the Israelis aresaying," Montasser said.

Solidarity and Communication

At the Cultural Rhythms festival Saturdaynight--an event to hail the University's culturaldiversity--dancers from the Hillel wore blackarmbands to express their condolences to thePalestinian victims. Dancers from the Society ofArab Students said they were dancing tocommemorate the victims in the massacre.

Kaunfer said the Hillel launched a newinitiative last week to plan intergroup eventswith the Society of Arab Students.

And Kaunfer said the Hillel would offer to helpwith any memorial service or the Islamic Societyplanned to organize.

"I hope this won't affect the relationshipsbetween our two groups," said Kaunfer. "No one atHillel feels the way this man felt."

Jewish students were quick to point out thatthe assailant represented a militant "fringegroup" and not the views of most Jews.

Annab said he agrees. "Obviously, we understandthat the person who did it was a militant, and hedoesn't represent the majority of the Jewishcommunity," he said. "But it takes only one personto destroy peace."

Annab said, however, that he was disappointedby the lack of national uproar about the incident,and he said he hoped the incident would not beforgotten so soon.

"I think that had it been Jewish worshipers,the world would have been in much, much moreupheaval about it. I think even the press in theU.S. has made it seem less tragic than it reallyis," Annab said

Solidarity and Communication