Residents of 29 Garden St. Could Use the Fresh Air

DISSENT

By Edward F. Mulkerin iii

No one is arguing that living at 29 Garden Street is easy. And it's tempting to beat up on anyone who makes it barder.

But Currier House Master William Graham is no villian. He is merely implementing what is in the best interests of the residents of his house which, after all, is his job.

Reasons other than cold tofu may have played a role in Graham's request. Perhaps Currier house spirit was adversely affected by mealtime whining about Expos and the QRR.

True, this restriction slightly differs from other interhouse restrictions in that it singles out the students of 29 Garden St. But what the staff overlooks in its specious Weld analogy is that no kid in his right mind would stroll up across Cambridge Common in the driving sleet at 7 a.m. just to get Currier's waffles. Show me a Yardling who voluntarily dines at the Quad and I'll show you an admissions mistake.

So the staff's call for interhouse restrictions is about as empty as a Quadbound shuttle from Greenough on a cold morning. It would change nothing. Luckily, nothing has really changed at 29 Garden in the first place. It's common knowledge there that if you utter "Yard" to the checkers at Currier, you can have all the monk fish you want without fear of reprisal. Even the Currier dining hall manager, Bob Liandro, admits that the policy is rarely enforced. According to one 29G resident, "People still eat pretty much where they want."

First-years living at 29 Garden Street should look forward to the walk to the Union. The exercise will make the food taste all the better.