Icemen Tame Tigers, 4-3, in OT

Farrell's Goal at 4:28 of Overtime Caps Late Third-Period Crimson Comeback

By Darren Kilfara, Special to The Crimson

PRINCETON, N.J.--Scrape the rust off and that nasty film of new Jersey Turnpike smoke pollution, and Harvard knows it has one of the nation's best hockey teams.

Indeed, it showed flashes of that brilliance throughout last night's game at Baker Rink against Princeton. After all was said and done in the game--which had all the plot twists of a Melrose Place episode--it took Harvard 64-and-a-half minutes to put the Tigers away, 4-3, on senior Brain Farrell's overtime goal.

Farrell's 17th goal of the year, a top-shelf backhand move created by senior Chris Baird, gives the third-ranked Crimson (12-3-2 overall, 10-2-2 ECAC) some much-needed momentum going into Monday nights' Beanpot showdown with number-two Boston University (5-2 winners over UMass-Lowell last night).

The Tigers (7-8-3, 4-6-3) found themselves on the short end of an overtime home loss to the Crimson for the second straight year: Matt Mallgrave `93 edged Princeton late last time around, and Farrell delivered the coup de main this year.

But understand this: without sophomore Tom Holmes, Harvard would have been on the bum end of a 3-0 loss. Two assists preceded his game-typing goal, scored with 2:05 to play and only two minutes after Tony Ranaldi appeared to give Princeton the victory.

What made Holmes' contribution all the more impressive was the fact that he suffered a knee injury earlier this season which looked like it might keep him out of the Harvard line-up well into February. Acknowledging this, Head Coach Ronn Tomassoni called him "the miracle man" after the game.

"Actually, he probably could have played a week after the injury--quite a quick healer," Tomassoni said. "But all night long he was one of the better players on the ice, and we're glad to have him back."

"Just glad to be back helping the team," Holmes (or is it Nuke Laloosh?) said. "I was a little lucky tonight but I'll take it."

It took Princeton 18 minutes to open the scoring: with Crimson defenseman Peter McLaughlin in the sin bin for high-sticking, a melee in the crowded crease found the puck on the stick of Tiger captain J.P. O'Connor, who wristed it over starting goaltender Aaron Israel to make it 1-0.

O'Connor dominated the score sheet, if not the play, in the opening 20 minutes with his goal and four penalty minutes. Otherwise, it was a case of following the bouncing puck in a sloppily-played opening stanza.

Could the Demons of Beanpots Future have been playing tricks with the Crimson of Harvard Present? No if Tommy Holmes was to have any say in it--he worked hard in deep to set up an open chance for senior Derek Maguire, who slipped a change-up past Princeton netminder James Konte to net the score at 1-1 only 1:27 into the second.

And Holmes again turned provider for the goal-sniffing nose of junior Cory Gustafson: he pounced on Holmes's rebound for his 16th goal of the year and gave the Crimson the lead only seconds after it looked like Harvard would go one down.

Tripp Tracy, on to replace Israel at the 9:42 mark of the second, robbed Sean O'Brien of what appeared to be a sure tip-in goal. O'Brien's deflection trickled towards the goal line, but Tracy reached back with the butt-end of his stick to knock the puck away O'Brien raised his hands in the air, but referee John Melanson instantly signaled no-goal.

But just as the Crimson looked safe in the second intermission locker room, disaster struck. Sophomore Jason Karmanos got caught for tripping with :15 to go, and Ian Sharp made him pay, finding the puck in front and beating Tracy on a tough chance just three ticks short of the buzzer.

Tracy looked sharp himself ("I saw the puck really well tonight," he said), but after much of a taut third period he was beaten first on Ranaldi's rebound conversion at the 15:31 mark--Princeton's third power play goal on seven chances.

But it was all Harvard thereafter. Holmes snuck in on a nice feed from Maguire and five-holed Konte to save the day.

Holmes's line--with Gustafson and a hyperactive Steve Martins (eight penalty minutes and lots of offense)--broke down Princeton's defense until Farrell was able to break through.

"It's always tough to play down here," Farrell said. "I'm glad to finally be out of this place."

HARVARD, 4-3 (OT) at Baker Rink Harvard  0  2  1  1  --  4 Princeton  1  1  1  0  --  3

First Period

Prin--O'Connor 7 (Bois, S, O'Brien) 18:08. (PPG)

Second Period

Har--Maguire 5 (Holmes) 1:27.

Har--Gustafson 16 (Holmes, Martins) 16:36.

Prin--Sharp 7 (Kelley, Scowby) 19:57. (PPG

Third Period

Prin--Ranaldi 4 (Brown, Sharp) 15:34. (PPG)

Har--Holmes 4 (Lonsinger, Maguire) 17:55.

Overtime

Har--Farrell 17 (Baird) 4:28.

Saves: Har--Israel 10-2-0-0-12, Tracy 0-9-8-2-19;

Prin--Konte 6-13-8-2-29.

Power Play: Har--o for 3; Prin--3 for 7.

Attendance: 2,224