29G Complaints Are Overblown

TO THE EDITORS

It is unfortunate that so many Harvard students, particularly first-years, have a personality to while and complain without getting all the facts. As 20G residents, we regret the reputation that some of our dormmates are creating for us.

In a recent letter to editors ("Quad Dining Policy is Unfair," Feb. 4, 1994), some fellow residents of 29G bemoan their sad state of culinary misery and proceed to blast Linda Boland (29G proctor) for allegedly creating the system that distributes 29G residents among the quad houses for eating.

In their ranting and raving about the policy they liken themselves to Jews being persecuted by Hitler. What they fail to realize is that instead of writing a whining letter to The Crimson, all they had to do was find out how the problem might be solved: ;last year, the students proposed to Dean Nathans and Dean Young a system they liked better, and after a meeting of proctors it was adopted, They also assume that Linda Boland is the evil mastermind behind this plot, when in reality the current system was originally created and approved by ALL of the 29G proctors. Boland herself explains, "If you're unhappy about something, why don't you go to the powers that be?.... Last year, the students didn't like the way we divided them into the houses, so they devised a new system and we implemented it. All they had to do was ask."

Why did these people decide to rip on a proctor who has been dedicating her time and energy to helping students for the last four years? It would have been more appropriate and more productive to simply walk down a flight of stairs and discuss the situation with her like the adults that they are supposed to be.

Besides, this whole controversy is blown out of proportion. Currier is the only Quad house that is enforcing his policy. Therefore, for any particular group to eat together, all they have to do is eat at North or Cabot.

Jason Comander '97, Sarah Lacasse '97 Daniel C. Persinger '97, Joshua Shulman '97