PBH Holds Second Used Book Sale

Government Books Hottest Sellers; $2,000 Raised in First Two Days

By Robert S. Lee

Phillips Brooks House held its second semiannual used book sale this weekend, offering students an opportunity to recycle what might otherwise have been thrown away.

The sale began on Thursday and ran through 3 p.m. Saturday.

Fifty PBH volunteers worked on the project for a week, said Events Coordinator Vincent P. Fiorino '95.

PBH sold the books for students and kept 15 percent of the profit. Although most students who gave their books were hoping to make money, members of Dorm Crew donated a few books to the sale.

"You'd make more than if you sold theme to the Coop, said Fiorino, explaining why students should sell their old books through PBH.

Harvard's largest community service organization expected to raise a few thousand dollars, of which they will keep only a fraction, The money will be used to help pay the expenses of PBH's 49 committees, said Fiorino.

"It's mostly a service to the students, not a fund-raiser," he said.

The first used book sale was held last semester, but Fiorino said he is unsure whether PBH will sponsor a sale in the future.

Nevertheless, he said this year's sale was very successful, raising more than $2,000 on the first two days.

"There's been a pretty steady flow [of customers]," said Fiorino.

Kristina Han '96, a book sale volunteer, said the many government books were the hottest sellers.

Several students, however, complained that the selection of books was limited.

According to Fiorino, the project, which was organized only at the beginning of intersession, had "just phenomenal" participation by volunteers.

"If we can help, that's great," said Fiorino, "We're dedicated to one thing...service."