Haitians Stage Rally

Gathering Marks Date of Aristide Election

By Julie H. Park

Members of Cambridge's Haitian community staged a candlelight rally last night to mark the third anniversary of ousted Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide's election and to publicize a local voting rights campaign.

Ralliers held placards stating "Democracy in Haiti = Aristide" and "Democracy in Cambridge = Voting Rights" on the steps of Cambridge City Hall at 5:30 p.m.

The gathering, which drew about 20 people, was sponsored by the Komite Kreyol, the Cambridge Eviction Free Zone, the Cambridge Rindge and Latin Haitian Club and the Campaign for Voting Rights.

The ralliers advocated the right to vote in local elections for all residents regardless of citizenship. The Council has no proposals pending on the issue, Councillor Jonathan S. Myers said yesterday.

Following the rally, supporters listened to speeches by members of the Haitian community, who spoke to the city council about the need for democracy in Haiti.

In recognition of the anniversary, the council passed a resolution in support of Aristide.

"The struggle for voting rights in Haiti reminds us of similar struggles for voting rights here in America, a march to democracy which is yet incomplete," the resolution said. "This Cambridge City Council hopes that the struggles of the Haitian people will serve as an inspiration to those who fight for democratic rights in America."

Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 linked the Haitians' struggles for equality in Cambridge to their efforts to combat political oppression in Haiti.

"This issue of voting rights is very controversial," Reeves said to the audience following the presentation. "I hope we can at least talk about it."