Experts Warn Harvard Of Rabid Raccoons

By Emilie L. Kao

Because of a rise in raccoon sitings and cases of rabies, Harvard's Department of Environmental Health and Safety is warning members of the Harvard community to avoid all contact with the animals.

In a letter being distributed to students, professors and employees, the department urges University affiliates to vaccinate domestic animals and to keep all garbage tightly covered.

Dr. Gary D. Alpert, a co-author of the letter, called the measures "proactive." He said printing and distributing the 10,000 letters would be worth the cost even if only one case of rabies is prevented.

Since January 1993, eight rabid reccoons and one rabid skunk have been caught by Cambridge authorities Mark McCabe, director of the Cambridge Animal Commission, estimated that there are between 50 and 70 sick raccoons in the area.

The fatal virus lives in the saliva of an infected animal. A scratch or a bite from an infected animal are the most common means of transmission, McCabe said.

A spokesperson from the Massachusetts Department of public Health called the spread of raccoon rabies "a serious public health concern. He added, however, that there is no reason for a panic.

There is no way to counteract the spread of rabies within the raccoon population, according to McCabe.

"Once the virus is in an area, it will remain for a long time," McCabe said.

Although a New York girl died of the disease last year, three have been no rabies-related deaths in Massachusetts, McCabe said.

Alpert urged Harvard students to be on their guard against animals which show signs of being rabid.

The two forms of rabies in animals are referred to as the "furious" and "dumb" forms.

A "furious" raccoon exhibits extremely aggressive behavior and may be foaming at the mouth. Such rabid animals may also let out unusual high-pitched sounds.

An animal with the "dumb" form of rabies is very lethargic and approaches people with no far.

He also urged students to avoid any contact with raccoons and to report raccoon sitings to the Harvard Police Department.