State Condemns Experiment: 'The Research Is Very Troubling'

The following is the text of a press release issued yesterday by state Department of Mental Retardation Commissioner Philip Campbell above the Wretham State School radiation study:

The Task Force to Review Human subject Research, which is investigating radiation experiments which were conducted at the Fernald State School in the 1940s and 50s, has uncovered new information about radiation tests that were conducted on children at the Wrenthem State School in the early 1960s.

The research which was published in Science (October 1962) describes tests that were conducted at the Wrentham School from December 1961 to April 1962 to measure the body's ability to withstand and recover from fallout from fallout from nuclear explosions. Is the tests, about 60 children between the ages of one and 11 were given sodium iodide in increasing doses to measure the body's ability to absorb and discharge radioactive material.

"This research is very troubling," commented Frederick Misilo. Jr., chair of the Task Force and Deputy DMR Commissioner. "This information the Task Force is bringing to light reinforces each member's commitment to ensuring this kind of activity never happens again. The Task Force has poured over literally thousands of pages of documents since our work began January. We will be reviewing archival records and other documents to determine what kind of informed consent, if any, was used in this study.

"For government researchers concerned about radioactive fallout to use institutionalized two-year old children is an insult to the children, their families, and to every individual concerned with individual rights and dignity. I am deeply troubled by these revelations," Misilo said.

The study was contained in a series of documents which were provided by officials from Harvard University which has been working and cooperating with the Task Force and its work. The article echoes the fears and concerns of the Cold War and the health risks to the general population of fallout from nuclear explosions. The study examined the possibility of increasing the body's ability [to] absorb the effects of nuclear fallout by administering smaller doses to increase tolerance levels.

The study was conducted by Krishna M. Saxena, Earle M. Chapman, and Charles V. Pryles who were affiliated with the Departments of Medicine and Pediatrics of the Harvard Medical School, the Medical and Children's Services of Massachusetts General Hospital and the Pediatric Service of the Boston University School of Medicine. The study was sponsored by the U.S. Public Health Service, Division of Radiological Health.

"At this point," Misilio continued, "all we have is the published research. The article raises many questions such as how much radiation was involved, what were the longterm health effects of the individuals who participated in the tests and were they or their guardians fully informed about the true nature of the tests. We don't have answers yet, but or Task Force will attempt to answer these questions."

The total number of studies which used radioactive materials and involved former residents of DMR facilities now totals 12, according to Misilo. The new study was uncovered by Task Force members among documents it received from various academic and health care institutions.

The Task Force, which was established by Philip Campbell, Commissioner of the Department of Mental Retardation, is examining all aspects of the radiation experiments at the Fernald State School and other state facilities. They are studying research (both published and unpublished), trying to identify and locate individuals who may have participated in the tests and determine their current status. A report of their findings is due to Commissioner Campbell on March 31,1994.

The Task Force is composed of 15 people, parents, physicians, researchers, test perticipants, advocates and staff. It is supported by sub-committees of 30 nationally recognized experts in various disciplines.

The commissioner also ordered facility directors at all of the DMR's large institutions to begin a review of all record, research, or anecdotal evidence to determine the history of testing and experimentation at other sites. The facility directors are in the process of completing this review. According to Commissioner Campbell, these records will be used so the DMR has a better understanding of precisely how much testing occurred at these institutions since their inception. The Task Force will also review whatever documents are uncovered.

Former Wrentham residents for family members who have questions or who believe they may have participated in the Wrentham study should call an 800 number which the Department of Mental Retardation has established. The number, I (800) 377-9237, is operational in Massachusetts and is open from Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.