Fund Drive to Send Relief, Aid to Bosnia

Week-Long Campaign to Raise $600K

By Elisabeth A. Mayer

Approximately 45 students hoping to prove that Harvard students do not "wallow in apathy and inaction" gathered in the Lamont Forum Room last night to plan a drive to provide relief for war-torn Bosnia.

The group, organized by seven undergraduates, aims to raise $50,000 in a week-long fundraising blitz by asking Harvard students for donations in every house and first-year dorm.

The money will be used to purchase a truck and driver to transport food, medicine and relief supplies into Sarajevo, said group organizer John R. Wagley '95, who is a Crimson editor.

The organization plans to door drop flyers detailing their plans today and solicit money directly door-to-door on Wednesday and Thursday nights.

"We are hoping to achieve a campus-wide blitz," said Martin Lebwohl '96, another of the new group's organizers, The group is aiming for 100 percent student participation, he said.

The organizers want to raise the money as swiftly as possible and hope that the rapid fund-raising will garner media attention.

"We want to show the world that Harvard is model of practical activism," Lebwohl said. The organizers want to lead by example and end the country's apathy concerning Bosnia, he said.

The money raised will go towards the purchase of the truck though the Joint Distribution Committee, a humanitarian organization that has been leading the Bosnia relief effort and currently feeds approximately 300 Bosnians daily.

If the goal of $50,000 is met, the money will be enough to hire a driver and purchase a truck, fuel and 20 tons of food, organizers said.

"Our goal is to get refugees out and get food and medical supplies in," Lebwohl said.

And if the full $50,000 doesn't appear, the fundraising group will appear, the fundraising group will buy what it can, organizer Shai A. Held '94 said.

"If we can't buy a truck, we'll buy a tire," he said.

The organizers of the new group said their goals are purely humanitarian.

Wagley was moved to action after he saw flyers about the Bosnian situation an decided he wanted to do something "solely to get help to the people of Bosnia," he said.

Held spoke of the rapidly rising death toll in Bosnia and the sense of abandonment and desperation felt by the citizens of Eastern Europe.

He encouraged the audience to do "whatever youpossibly can "to bring relief to the Bosnians,commenting that "it is exciting to see so manypeople here and shameful that we are here two anda half years too late."

The speakers then showed a short videodetailing the events unfolding in Bosnia and theneed for activism by the West.

Lebwohl likened the atrocities of Bosnia to theHolocaust.

"Never again" is a mandate for ourgeneration--has it become an empty platitude?" heasked.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps II, whoattended the meeting, praised the organizers fortheir efforts and stated that the planned to meetwith the Committee on College Life as quickly aspossible in order to authorize the door dropcampaign