The Cheese King Rides Again

Yanni live at the Acropolis

Yanni

Private Music Label

First there was music, then there was Yanni. Not sure what this Yanni stuff sounds like? Imagine planetarium music, crossed with a grade-B movie soundtrack. Now imagine the musicians are a '70s rock band, accompanied by a full orchestra. All that remains to be added is a dose of '90s new age spiritualism, the sexy Greek presence of Yanni and a sky full of stars. Yanni Live at the Acropolis provides all three of these elements: the starry Greek night, 48-track digital recording and for those laser disc connoisseurs, 14 camera angles worth of Yanni's flowing dark locks, sensuous mustache and penetrating eyes. Yanni could be Samson with his mane, Jesus with his prophetic utterances or that mysterious European stranger who woos single female travelers, only to turn out to be a con man. What he actually is simple: a sex symbol with a piano and orchestra. He's like Tom Selleck and Neil Diamond rolled up into one, which makes a potentially deadly combination.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, Yanni's tenth album reveals him to be a musical simpleton. This album is full or romantic music, but it really lacks passion. Yanni writes music that is just like his personality--striving for beauty and deepness, and producing schmaltz. His own words best describe this philosophy: "My goal is to connect with people emotionally. I take life's experiences and translate them into music--music that hopefully creates an impact on the listener." The incredible thing is that Yanni appears to be totally sincere.