Taylor Given Contract

Will Not Lead Radcliffe Choral Society

By Sarah J. Schaffer

Associate Director of Choral Activities Beverly J. Taylor accepted a new tow-year contract this week after the College delayed the offer for four months, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said yesterday.

The decision to renew Taylor's contract came as part of a larger review of the College's choral programs. In addition to suggesting a contract for Taylor, the recently completed review recommended a restructuring of the duties of both Taylor and Director of Choral Activities Jameson N. Marvin.

Taylor, who directs the Radcliffe Choral, Society, said yesterday that she is pleased with her new contract, though she remains uncertain of some of the details.

"I'm delighted it was renewed," said Taylor, who has worked at her current job since 1978. "I'm not sure of all the details, such as pay. Next year seems like it will be similar to this year. I'm mot sure about the year after that."

In fact, beginning the 1995-96 academic year, Taylor will no longer lead the Radcliffe Choral Society. Marvin will take over the conducting responsibilities for the society.

"We are trying new arrangements that will giveus a chance to experiment with the choral programand refresh both the conductors and the students,"Epps said.

Instead, Taylor will conduct a new, "elite"24-member chorus, Epps said. Singers in the groupwill be picked from the Holden Chapel choralgroups--Harvard-Radcliffe Chorus, Radcliffe ChoralSociety, Harvard Glee Club and Collegium Musicum.

"We have felt for some time that an elite groupof that kind was missing from our choralofferings," Epps said.

Taylor will also conduct the Harvard-RadcliffeChorus, which is open both to Harvard affiliatesand area residents. Epps said she will also lead anew community chorus. The dean said he is not surehow the two singing groups will differ.

Taylor will also have a new title: theassociate conductor of choral activities. Jamesonwill retain his current job title and continue toconduct the Glee Club and the Collegium Musicum,in addition to leading the Radcliffe group.

Last month, Epps issued a survey to members ofthe Radcliffe Choral Society, the Glee Club andthe Harvard-Radcliffe Chorus asking them toevaluate Taylor's performance.

Taylor was supposed to find out about hercontract at the beginning of January, but theprocess dragged on because of unexpected delays.

"It took longer to draft the survey thanexpected and also to get the results and computethem," Epps said.

"The survey results showed strong support forMs. Taylor's work," the dean added.

A three-member advisory committee which reportsto Epps took the survey results into considerationwhen they decided to offer Taylor the contract,the dean said. In the past, Taylor had workedunder a series of one-year contracts.

"The recommendations," of the advisorycommittee was unanimous and the decision is inline with those recommendations," Epps said. "Wewanted to offer her a longer commitment than wehad in the past, based on the results of thereview.