What's the Sign?

Norma Knows

Dear Norma,

My roommate always blasts that frickin' "I saw the sign" song by frickin' Ace of Face, or Ace of Mace or whatever the group is. I hate it. What should I do? May I please destroy her CD player? Sick of Sucky Song in Stoughtom

Dear Sick,

No, you may not damage your roommate's CD player--violence is never the solution. Nor may you break the CD itself; anyway, that would not make sense because you only mentioned one particular track which irritates you. Who knows--maybe you would really like the other songs.

Ask your roommates to teach you the words to "The Sign." Then the two of you could sing along to the CD together as you did homework or as you got ready for classes every morning. I think you'll find that learning about your roommate's music will bring the two of you closer together and "open up your eyes" to the works of Ace of Base (forgive me; I'm often tickled by inserting puns in my writing).

Dear Norma,

I am madly in love with this girl and I think she likes me too. The only problem is, whenever I call her up to do something, she's always got way too much work to do. So, what's up? What should I do?   Time on His Hands

Dear Time,

Ask her the same question you've asked me: "What's up? What should I do?" If indeed she likes you, she will probably be open to discussion on this subject. Here's another idea: if she always has "way too much work," you ought to call her in advance so that she has plenty of time to complete it early. Because you are "madly" in love with her and not just "charmed" you could, I suppose, do some of her work for her. But that's rather drastic. Make sure she isn't a Computer Science concentrator, or a senior writing a thesis. You don't need that kind of work in your life, I don't care how wonderful she is.

Dear Norma,

So what's you pick for the sweetest Spring Break for '94? Daytona Beach? Fort Lauderdale? Cancun? Please advise, I want a sweet vacation.   Wants a Sweet Break in Winthrop

Dear Wants,

As Spring Break starts tomorrow and you do not seem to have made any concrete plans as of yet, it appears that your best bet for fun in the sun is Somerville.

Dear Norma,

I am waiting to hear if I got into Harvard. Do you know if I did or not?   Kevin Q. Price '98 (I hope)

Dear Kevin,

I do, because I have close friends who work in the Admissions Office. Thanks for writing, Kevin.