VP Searches Drag On

Officials Expect End in `Near Future'

By Jonathan N. Axelrod

The vice-presidential searches to replace two top University administrators continue to drag on with no apparent end in sight.

University officials gave no indication in the last week when the searches, which began last January and September, would conclude.

Vice-President for Government, Community and Public Affairs John H. Shattuck stepped down early last year to join the Clinton administration.

Jane H. Corlette, who is temporarily filling Shattuck's post, said yesterday she assumed the replacements would be named in the "near future", but really did not have the "vaguest idea" at what point in time the announcements would come.

"I've given up guessing about when they will make a decision," Corlette said. "I'm sure they've been meeting with people, but its been over a year already."

No replacement candidates have yet been announced for Vice-President for Finance Robert C. Scott, who revealed his intentions of leaving Harvard last September.

General Council Margaret H. Marshall told The Crimson in September that she hoped to present the search committees' final suggestions on Shattuck's replacement to Rudenstine within "the next number of weeks," but there is no evidence that that has occurred.

Marshall did not return calls to her office yesterday.

Harvard hired Russell Reynolds Associates, a head hunting firm, in September to find a replacement for Scott, the university's chief financial officer. At the time the firm said it hoped to complete the search within three months.

This week the firm had no comment on the search process. The head of the search, Gordon Grand, was on vacation and could not be reached for comment.

This is not the first search that Russell Reynolds has conducted for Harvard. The company was involved in the 1990 search that led to the appointment of Harvard Management Company President Jack R. Meyer.

Scott's office refused to comment on the search.

D. Ronald Daniel, University treasurer, and Michael W. Roberts, University secretary, who have been involved with the searches, did not return calls.

Like several University officials, President of the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers Donene M. Williams said she was unaware of the status of the searches.

"I haven't heard anything about the searches," Williams said yesterday. "I have no clue."

Martha Sullivan of the Andrew W. MellonFoundation, where President Neil L. Rudenstineworked before coming to Harvard, also said sheknew nothing of the searches.

But Sullivan said she doubted replacementswould come from any of Rudenstine's formerassociates at the Mellon Foundation