Assimilation Is Frightening

TO THE EDITORS

During a speech at the Institute of Politics two weeks, ago, author Shelby Steele urged African-Americans to start simply getting the "inside information" from white people so that we can independently advance.

I wondered how valuable this inside information would be, especially after learning that "top scholar" Kenan Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield, Jr. '53 "couldn't keep up with the times," claiming that he didn't know if he should be referring to people such as myself as Negroes, Afro-Americans of African Americans.

The goal of any multicultural curriculum is not to promote separatism but rather to feed Knowledge to those who remain ignorant (whether voluntarily or involuntarily). An Afro-American Studies course on identity and culture might be of benefit to individuals like Mansfield.

Anywhere I turn, I am flooded with ways to learn more about the "American culture." The "American culture" which you embrace is a traditional one; exclusive and uninviting.

You urge that everybody "assimilate" into this stifling melting pot. Assimilation is a frightening action call for me to digest the ways of someone else and becoming part of an "inherited culture" that does not belong to me.

Assimilation is the last thing I would agree to do in an environment where "non-ethnically defined" (WHITE) people clearly dominate all positions of power. Instead, celebrate with me, if you choose and learn more about my African-Americaness.

Join some of the other white students who have independently opted to take classes in the Afro-American Studies Department. And finally acknowledge my most beautiful and irreplaceable characteristic: MY BLACKNESS. Kristen Clarke '97