UNESCO Head Speaks At Earthwatch Meeting

By Robert S. Lee

The lesser developed nations of the world need better environmental education, the Director-General of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) said Saturday in a speech at the Science Center.

UNESCO head Federico Mayor was in Boston this weekend to discuss four possible joint projects between UNESCO and environmental group Earthwatch, Earthwatch President Brian A. Rosborough said. The two organizations will work well together because they have similar aims, Mayor said.

Mayor's speech at Harvard was the centerpiece of the Massachusettsbased Earthwatch's one-day annual meeting.

Speaking before a crowd of approximately 200, Mayor said the growing world population poses a serious threat to the world's resources.

"Every day there are 254,000 more people on this planet," he said. "Only education can give the capability of decision and with that the ability to curb population growth and better share present resources."

Countries with a low level of development have the resources to modernize but do not have the know-how, he said.

"Education is about awakening one's own capabilities," Mayor added. "We must provide facilities of access to education."

In an interview afterward, Mayor also called on undergraduates to take a role in improving the environment.

"Harvard students have a special responsibility in this global vision, to learn out from their fantastic tower more than others in helping others," he said.

Approximately 400 scientists and environmentalists turned out for the Earthwatch conference, said Earthwatch volunteer Annie Abbruzzese. Some of the scientists followed Mayor's speech with slide presentations of their Earthwatch-supported research.

"I'm here to educate the public...gather some recruits, and to see what other scientists are doing," said Edward Bird, an underwater archaeologist.