Make the Truck To Bosnia a Reality

THE CRIMSON STAFF

Last week, an ad hoc committee of Harvard students began a campaign to break the apathy of the community. The group set as its goal raising enough money to buy a truck full of relief supplies for besieged Sarajevo. The cost would be $50,000.

After a week of fundraising, the students have raised over $20,000--no small accomplishment, but not enough. While further student solicitations may help, the effort could still not reach its goal.

Now is the time for the University to pitch in. By matching the amount the committee has raised, the administration could make the Harvard-sponsored truck a reality. The University will, after all, have achieved nearly one billion dollars in donations before its huge fund drive has even begun. The University could easily make money available-out of the Central Administration Discretionary Fund, for example.

The Harvard-sponsored truck would be a small step in stopping the immense tragedy in Bosnia, but a large step in stopping the apathy on campus. The University should play its part.