Molina Speaks on Activism

By Abigail R. Rezneck

The most effective ways to change public policy are community mobilization, constructive political criticism and honesty, Los Angeles County Supervisor Gloria Molina told about 100 people last night in the Starr Auditorium at the Institute of Politics.

Molina, the first female Latino to be elected to the California legislature, also said she wants to empower the Latino community by encouraging political participation.

"I learned very quickly that we need to learn how the political system works," Molina said. "We need to make it work for us and to respect the diversity of our claims."

Molina, who has served on the state legislature since 1982, encouraged her audience, which was mainly Latino, to challenge the system.

"For each of us, as minority members of the community, it is a challenge we must face, well-prepared and well-armed," she said.

In a half-hour question-and-answer period following the speech, Molina outlined her proposals for budget reform, affirmative action and "Ethics reform"-a series of administrative revisions to restore "credibility and integrity" to the Los Angeles Board of Supervisors.

Molina said the primary objective underlying all of these programs is greater honesty and directness with the public about the issues, especially the budget. Molina said in her speech that she has a critical eye when it comes to politics.

"We have a tendency in the political process to not look at the big questions because they're the tough ones," she said.

Molina said she had fought political battles both as a woman and as a Latino, often having to decide whether racism or sexism was more important.

"It was very difficult," Molina said, "Because either way it felt like discrimination."

Many members of the audience said they enjoyed Molina's speech and wish to emulate her.

"We are very proud [of Molina] not only as a distinctive and effective supervisor but also as a strong Latino leader and role model," said Andres F. Irlando '94. "We need more like her to be a permanent part of the Harvard culture."

RAZA President Xavier A. Gutierrez '95 agreed.

"She tried to emphasize the importance of the presence of the Latino community throughout the U.S. and the fact that it is a force to be reckoned with," he said.

Molina was honored by the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations at a luncheon earlier in the day.