U.C. to Consider 50 Percent Hike In Student Fees

Charge Would Increase From $20 to $30

By Christopher Ortega

The Undergraduate Council will soon consider a 50-percent hike in the fee paid by every Harvard student to support the council's activities.

If enacted, the hike, which would be only the second increase in the council's 12-year history, would raise the Undergraduate Council fee included on every student's term bill from $20 to $30.

Council representatives discussed the possibility of a fee hike, yesterday during a joint meeting of the Committee on College Life and the Committee on House Life.

In addition to the hike, Council members discussed the possibility of making it more difficult for students to avoid paying the fee. They also said the council's membership could be reduced by as much as one-fifth in the near future.

Council members at the meeting projected that the increase in the fee would boost the council's budget to $180,000, about $60,000 more than its current budget.

John Mann '92-'94, a member of the council's reevaluation committee, characterized the hike as "barely keeping up with inflation. "He said the additional funds would allow the council to sponsor more events on campus.

But the proposed fee increase must still be presented before the full council. And Mann said that if students oppose the idea, the council will not pursue it.

"If nobody thinks we do anything, we don't want any more money, "Mann said.

A fee hike could affect students' ability to waive the fee on their term bill if it is coupled with another change members discussed at the meeting.

Currently, undergraduates can get $16.67 of their $20 council fee refunded by checking off the appropriate box on their term bill. To receive the remaining $3.33, students must write a letter to the dean of students.

This year, approximately 16 percent of undergraduates waived much of their term bill fee with a single check mark, costing the council at least $15,000.

Council representatives yesterday said they were considering a system in which any individual who wanted a refund would have to write a letter to the dean.

But if the fee hike or other proposals are passed by the council, they would still have to receive the approval of the full faculty, Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said yesterday.

"Any fundamental changes...to the Undergraduate Council must be voted on by the full faculty," Jewett said. "There will be a lot of debate for a term bill increase."

During the meeting, Council rep- resentatives said they were consideringdownsizing the body by as much as one-fifth. Thereduction would come in response to criticism thatthe sheer size of the council allows somerepresentative to neglect their responsibilities.

"We want to eliminate any dead weight," Mannsaid.

In other business at the joint meeting,committee members considered new summer storageproposals for students.

Quincy House Master Michael Shinagel proposedthat each student be allowed up to 12 cubic feetfor storage during the summer. But students wholive within 100 miles of the College would not bepermitted to store over the summer.

The storage guidelines are being reformed tosatisfy "superintendents who would like toeliminate storage and students who would like toincrease storage," Shinagel said.

A proposal before the committee also asked thatthe amount of latenight study space be expanded.Adams, Dudley, Dunster and Leverett Houses have nostudy space available from 1 a.m. to 3 a.m.Undergraduate Council members in attendance said.

The proposal also requested a further expansionof Cabot Library's hours. It also suggested thatprovisions be made for late-night transportationto the library.

In a pitch for the proposal, some committeemembers labeled last semester's expansion of theCabot Library hours a success.

In an attempt to satisfy increasing demand forlate-night study time, Cabot Library extended itshours during reading period to 3 a.m. lastsemester.

According to yesterday's proposal, an averageof 15 students used the library between the hoursof 12:30 a.m. and 2:30 a.m. during "peak time"-thesecond week of reading period.

Students and administrators who attendedyesterday's meeting noted that library use mighthave been even greater if the extended hours hadbeen advertised