Search Completed

Semitic Museum to Fill 2 Top Positions

By Sarah J. Schaffer

The committee seeking to fill two top positions at the Semitic Museum has completed its search and will announce its selections next week.

Museum Director Lawrence E. Stager '65 said the field of applicants for the new posts of assistant curator of collections and assistant director was "very strong."

"It was difficult in that we had a marvelous array of candidates," said Stager, who is also Dorot Professor of the Archaeology of Israel.

Last November, the Museum laid off 10 staff members after a controversial report released the month before by an advisory committee.

The staff members charged that the move was made for political reasons, but Stager and Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles cited the museum's debt and a need for restructuring as explanations for the layoffs.

Stager said the two people hired will not begin working at the same time.

"They'll come at different times because of different commitments," he said. "One will start working very soon and the other one will be coming at the end of the summer."

The new hire who will begin working "very soon" could be free to start as early as next week, according to Stager. Some observers suggest this may indicate an internal candidate has been named to the post.

According to University hiring policy, the 10 laid-off staff members were entitled to apply for the two new positions.

Still, officials yesterday refused to release the names of those chosen until the discussions on the candidates have ended.

"We have decided, but we haven't concluded the discussions, and so I really shouldn't say anything more about the positions until those discussions are concluded and the positions are filled," said Nancy Maull, the search committee chair and administrative dean of the College.