Walker Urges Activism

By Kathreen P. Lee

Feminist activist Rebecca Walker encouraged today's young adults to become more involved in women's rights issues in the Take Back the Night keynote address last night at the Institute of Politics.

Speaking to an audience of about 40 Walker discussed contemporary views of sexism and violence against women.

"The main goal of the Third Wave is to encourage or to instigate young men and womens' awareness and activism in feminist issues," said Walker, who is the daughter of feminist author Alice Walker.

Walker encouraged students to increase their awareness of many issues, including violence against women, abortion rights, and the effect of race on feminist.

She called the ideal woman of the nineties a "woman warrior" who is fiercely independent and determined in her goals.

"A woman warrior is a beacon for other woman. She is one who can find leadership within herself and not in another," Walker said.

Many of the students who listened to the address said they found Walker to be an inspirational figure.

"I can appreciate the wisdom of the older feminists," Shanti M. Perkins '94 said. "But I can relate to [Walker] better because she is in my age group and closer to home for me."