Carnesale Is Likely Successor To Green

By Jonathan N. Axelrod

Dean of the Kennedy School of Government Albert Carnesale is considered the leading contender to replace outgoing Provost Jerry R. Green, sources around the University have indicated.

The vacancy created by Green's sudden departure last week has led to much speculation about who will succeed the provost. Green and other University officials have refused to give an explanation for the departure.

Many have speculated that Carnesale, an experienced administrator and close adviser to Rudenstine, could be next in line for the job.

A source close to Carnesale said last week that while the dean is content in his current job, he would certainly consider the provost's position.

Carnesale appears to meet the criteria presented in a listing for the job in last Friday's Harvard Gazette.

"There will be a strong preference for candidates with know knowledge of Harvard's academic and other programs--including a familiarity with aspects of professional education as well as the basic arts and sciences," the listing says.

As Kennedy School dean, Carnesale has overseen a number of programs that re quire inter-Faculty cooperation. And that experience, insiders say, gives him the "knowledge of Harvard's academic and other programs" necessary to be provost.

Asked last week whether he was a leading candidate for the job, Carnesale said: "I don't know that there are any candidates right now."

Blow to K-School

Officials interviewed by The Crimson said thatCarnesale's selection as provost would be a majorblow to the Kennedy School.

Carnesale, who became dean there about twoyears ago, is credited with bringing stability tothe school.

"We definitely don't want him to leave," saidKennedy School spokesperson Steven R. Singer.

Acting Vice President

With Green's departure, the atmosphere inMassachusetts Hall has looked somewhat chaotic.Vice President for Finance Robert H. Scott hasbegun work at another job, and the search for apermanent replacement for former Vice Presidentfor Government, Community and Public Affairs JohnH. Shattuck has dragged on for more than a year.

This week, Harvard is expected to name anacting vice president to replace Scott. TheCrimson has learned that Elizabeth C. Huidekoper,director of the Office of Budgets and SponsoredResearch, is likely to be tapped for the actingjob on Friday.

Huidekoper would not confirm or deny that sheis to be appointed the acting vice president forfinance. She said it was too early to tell whowould take the post.

"I think we have to wait and see what PresidentRudenstine does," she said.

But a permanent successor for Scott, whoresigned in September, could still be months away.

Scott has begun a new job as financialadministrator for Partners Healthcare, Inc.---thecorporation created by the merger of the Brigham &Women's Hospital and Massachusetts GeneralHospital

Blow to K-School

Acting Vice President