Critics Say Checks Needed On Police

Panel Set for May 2

By Marios V. Broustas

Critics of the Harvard Police Department are calling for the institution of new checks on the department's power and procedure.

This flashpoint for many of the proposals could be a panel discussion of relations between Black students and the University police scheduled for May 2 at the Kennedy School of Government.

One topic of discussion is likely to be the case of Inati Ntshanga '95, a Black student who charged that his December 1992 arrest by University police was racially motivated.

Black Students Association (BSA) President Alvin L. Bragg '95, who will be a panelist, said he will call for the establishment of an ombudsperson between minority organizations and police. Bragg also said he wants a new investigation of the Ntshanga case. He said several students, alarmed by the case, are now carrying their senior tutor's telephone numbers with them at all times.

"Students are protecting themselves more from police more than they are being protected," said Bragg, adding that he has lost his student I.D. and is worried about finding it before he gets stopped by police.

Another scheduled panelist is Ntshanga's attorney, Harvey A. Silver said the police need at tee for oversight. He added that the Office of the General Counsel, which iscurrently in charge of the department, has failedto protect students from the police.

"I would rather see the president of theUniversity and the dean of the Faculty appoint acommittee composed of students, faculty andalumni," Silverglate said.

"It seems to me more that the Harvard policeare in charge of the general counsel," he added.

Bragg and Sarah A. Bianchi '95, chair of theHarvard Political Union, met with Dean of StudentsArchie C. Epps III on Tuesday morning to discussthe format of the May 2 panel.

"I think it's good opportunity to heightenawareness about the issue and to understand whatthe problems are if there are problems," saidBianchi, who will serve as the panel's moderator.

In addition to Bragg and Silverglate,a policeofficial and a member of the general counsel'soffice will be the panel, Epps said.

Before the panel, excerpts from a videotapedeveloped by the Harvard Police Department morethan a year ago will be shown and discussed.

The videotape was to be shown yesterday at aforum with U.S. Drug Czar Lee Brown, but wascanceled when Brown could not attend.

Epps said yesterday's forum would havediscussed a mix of Harvard and nationwide issues.But the May 2 panel will give students a betteropportunity to talk about tensions on the Harvardcampus, the dean said