Harvard Square's Bob Marley Is Jamming His Way Up in the World

MUSIC

By Marios V. Broustas

Passion

Luko Adjaffi

Cote Jardin Music

Luko Adjaffi is better known to Harvard Students as "Bob Marley in the Square." But with his second solo CD, the Haitian -bon Adjaffi seems determined to move out of "the pit" by Out-of-Town News and follow the steps of his dread-head predecessor Tracy Chapman. With the 12 songs he wrote and arranged on "Passion," the 27 year-old Adjaffi indicates that he's finally hitting it big.

The album's quality will certainly surprise those who have only heard Adjaffi play the Square. His Jimmy Cliff-like voice is greatly enchanced in the studio and the use of a combination of conga drums and horns only add to his songs' appeal.

The interspersal of French and English gives his otherwise conventional songs a welcome folksy international flavor. Adjaffi emigrated from his native Haiti in 1978 to escape political turmoil. The self-proclaimed "International Singer/Songwriter," who spent several years in Belgium, Germany and France, certainly lives up to his sobriquet.

"A Mere (To My Mom)," a French ballad with a soothing acoustic-guitar rhythm, features the best aspects of Adjaffi's voice. Although he shows a limited vocal range in "Revolution," Adjaffi is generally able to disguise his limitations by straining his voice.

"Paradiso" is the most complete song on "Passion." After an initial burst of conga drums, Adjaffi switches effortlessly from an up-beat reggae rhythm to a soft ballad.

Adjaffi shows surprising versatility in his musical style and the use of his vocal talent, but his lyrics often seem simplistic. "Michelle" is the best-arranged song with the most catchy riff, but the lyrics lack depth. In "Power of Love," Adjaffi message also seems simplistic: "The power of love can touch you everywhere, can put you up in the sky." But poor lyrics never hurt Steve Miller and besides, Adjaffi shows lyric promise on "Great Cathedral" and "Tears of the Children" which belie his otherwise apolitical message.

The passionate "Tears of the Children" seems to rekindle the pains of Adjaffi's Haitian heritage. In addition, "The Great Cathedral" gracefully and enjoyably ponders the failures of religion.

In an English and French version of "My Village," a warm, tender ballad, Adjaffi recalls his native land and the beginning of his singing career. He ends the song: "I remember," seemingly a promise to not let go of his past.

The rest of the album features similarly soft, peaceful love songs in which Adjaffi proves that he has a great deal of talent. But Adjaffi falters when he tries too hard to seem political or to write deeply meaningful lyrics. Instead, he shines when he simply sings about his experiences and his passions.

Bob Marley he's not, but Adjaffi shows tremendous promise. Nostalgiac seniors who fear they will miss the sounds of the Square should consider buying the album. But "Passion" is a must-buy for supporters of quality, street folk and reggae music.