Lord Dies of Cancer at 67

Former News Office Director Transformed Harvard Gazette

Deane W. Lord, director of information in the Harvard University Office of News and Public Affairs and former director of the Harvard News Office, died yesterday after a four-year battle with cancer. She was 67.

Lord became director of the Radcliffe News Office in 1960 and of the Harvard News Office in 1973. She became director of information in 1981 and a senior writer for the Gazette in 1988.

Lord was involved with transforming the Harvard University Gazette from a calendar and newsletter to a newspaper.

"In a world starved for humor, Deane made us all laugh. In the cool and cerebral climate of Cambridge, Deane made us all her family," Assistant Secretary of State John H. Shattuck, former Harvard vice president for government, community and public affairs said yesterday in a press release. "We have lost a great friend with a heart the size of Harvard stadium."

For nearly 10 years, Lord also taught journalism at the Harvard Extension school, where she often invited professional journalists to come talk to her students.

In 1991, she received the Extension School's James E. Conway Award for Excellence in Teaching Writing.

"She was an institution. She taught hundreds of students, all of whom were deeply devoted to her," said Michael Shinagel, Dean of Continuing Education and University Extension. "She will be missed mightly by all her friends colleagues and students in the school."

In the press release, President Emeritus Derek C. Bok praised Lord and her many years of work at Harvard.

"Deane burned with a special flame," Bok said. "No one was more loyal or more devoted to the Harvard community. No one was a more faithful friend or quicker than she to reach out to someone in need. Sissela and I will miss her very much."

Lord is survived by her husband, Edwin C. Lord Jr., two children, Mary C. Lord '75 and Ted Lord '75, and three grandchildren.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the Deane W. Lord Scholarship Fund at the Extension School.

Private burial will take place tomorrow at Mt. Auburn Cemetery. A Harvard memorial service will be held on May 19 at 3 p.m. in Memorial Church.