N.Y. Club Union Should Enter Mediation

THE CRIMSON STAFF

In last week's mail, graduating seniors received information about joining the prestigious Harvard Club of New York City. The slick brochures emphasized the excellent services and wonderful traditions of the 127 year old club.

The brochures and accompanying paperwork, however, did not mention that 130 employees in the club's Union of Hotel, Restaurant & Club Employees have been on strike since April 3. During this first strike in the club's history, club employees have been picketing the West 44th Street club 24 hours a day to protest "concessions" demanded by management.

In a half-page advertisement in The Crimson on April 15 and a full-page advertisement the following day, the union encouraged readers to contact Donald Shapiro, the president of the club: "Tell Mr. Shapiro to treat his workers fairly."

Health care is the most significant issue, as management has asked that Local 6 workers begin paying 15 percent of their medical coverage--the same amount that non-union workers must pay. And, in addition to new vocation restrictions, union representatives have criticized the lack of wage increases, while the club has increased the workloads of many employees.

In a press release to counter the union's criticism, the club attributed the proposed contract changes to the need for "cost savings and more efficient operations" due to an economic environment where revenues have been "flat" while costs have "skyrocketed."

If indeed revenues have been flat while costs have increased, it seem reasonable to take measures to control costs. The union has been conducting open mediations on behalf of the striking workers, but these mediations appear to be at a standstill.

Club management has proposed binding mediation but, according to the club, the union has so far "refused" to enter mediation to resolve the differences.

At this point, independent mediation appears to be the most reasonable solution.

The mediator should be able to examine independent audits of the club to determine whether costs and revenues have been moving in opposite directions and to examine the fairness of the changes proposed by management.

The union, however, should be assured that such mediation would be impartial and fair--not the product of lawyers sympathetic to club management.

While the strike continues, employees of the Harvard Club must go without pay. And, while for members of the exclusive club, this may only mean suffering such injustices as buffet lunches, club members deserve the services for which they are paying.

Hopefully, with the help of independent mediation, the club's first strike will soon reach an end.