Farewell To the Chief

On the John

By Johnny C. Ausiello

Last night at the Boston garden, the Hub said goodbye to the last of the Big Three. In all likelihood, Robert Parish played his final game in Celtic Green.

For fourteen years, we've listened to the P.A. announcer boom "and playing at center, from centenary College, Robert Parish." And the fans would respond with their usual chant of "Chief." To a stranger in the Garden, it sounded like boos. But to the faithful, it was just a friendly cheer.

It was their way of expressing their gratitude towards Parish, an athlete of enormous talent who had both the advantage and disadvantage of playing in the shadow of greatness.

In a way, the nickname could not have been more perfect. Its origins date back to the Cedric Maxwell days.

Max was the leader of the teams in the early eighties. When Parish first came to the Celtics, Max noticed similarities between Parish's personality and the character Chief from "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest." He gave the young center the nickname, and it has stuck ever since.

But, like the man himself, the symbolic significance of the name has grown and changed. As time wore on, Parish, unlike the character in the novel, began to talk. Today, he is the darling of the press.

Yet the name "Chief" has stuck around, primarily for other reasons. Parish embodies the image of the heroic chief. He was always stood tall and proud, both in victory and defeat. His mere presence resonates a feeling of confidence and calmness. And while he was never one to draw attention to himself, you knew he'd always be there.

That was his greatest strength. In this day and age, sports has become a self-centered endeavor.

The athlete comes first, the team second. Parish never fit that mold. For twelve seasons he played with Larry Bird and Kevin McHale. Both are Hall of Famers, and both got all the press.

This never seemed to upset Parish. He recognized and understood his teammates greatness, and the success it brought to the team. To him, it simply meant more champagne when June rolled around.

It didn't bother him that he would have been the star on most other teams.

Not one story was ever written about him asking for a trade. Not one story was ever written about Parish complaining to management.

Instead, he stood behind the spotlight, quietly leading his troops.

Of course, he could play. You don't stay in the league for eighteen seasons without talent. Parish will end his career with over 25,000 points and 15,000 rebounds. And next to John Havilcek, he has played the most games in Celtic Green.

Along with his two teammates' he'll have his plaque in Springfield. Five years after his retirement, he'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Just do not expect him to make a big deal out of the whole affair. I'm sure his speech will be short, thanking those close to him. And there most certainly will be no tears.

It's just not his style.

Instead, he'll stand tall and smile. He'll act as he did throughout his career, deflecting all praise, confident in his accomplishments and secure in his place in history.