Alumnus Promises Record Donation

ABC Executive and Spouse Pledge Gift of $60 Million to Harvard Medical School

By Andrew L. Wright

A Harvard alumnus and his wife will donate $60 million to Harvard Medical School--the largest gift in the school's 200-year history--to fund neurobiology research, University officials will announce today.

Leonard H. Goldenson '27, chair of the executive committee of Capital Cities/ABC television, and his wife Isabelle Goldenson will give ninety percent of their combined estates to the Medical School in a series of planned gifts.

Harvard, in turn, will name the building which currently houses its neurobiology laboratories in honor of the Goldensons.

The gift will allow the Medical School to bring together molecular and integrative methods of research scientists are currently studying how diseased genes function, and how those genes can be made normal. Integrative researchers are examining how information is transfered in specific brain circuits.

Harvard says it plans to hire more researchers in both fields and to expand its number of neurobiology faculty.

"We are deeply honored to be chosen by the Goldensons as the institution to carry their work into the future. We will do all that we can to make their vision a reality," Dean of tie Harvard Medical School Daniei C. Tosteson '44 said in a statement.

The Goldensons, who have a long history of supporting efforts to cure cerebral Palsy, said they hope "to marry the advances in neurobiology with the needs of cerebral palsy research."

"We hope our gift will encourage communication and the sharing of medical ideas between Harvard Medical School and the cerebral palsy community," the Goldenson said in a joint statement.

In 1948, the Godensons, whose daughter Genise suffered from cerebial palsy, co-founded the United Cerebral Palsy Fund to raise money for research and education about the then little-understood disease.

President Neil L. Rudenstine, announcing the contribution, lauded the Goldensons for their contributions to cerebral palsy research.

"This gift is above all a symbol of the essential values that the Goldensons havebeen committed to uphold throughout their livesand work," Rudenstine said in a press release.

In 1951 Isabelle Goldenson, who is now 81,helped found the United Cerebral Palsy Researchand Education Foundation, which fosteredcooperation among medical school faculty andresearchers from the National Institues of Health.

In the 1970s, the Goldensons worked with NASAscientists to research practical applications ofspace technology for the disabled.

Leonard Goldenson, 88, retired as chair of ABCin 1986 when ABC merged with Capital citiesCommunications. He then became chair of the newcorporate parent company, Capital Cities/ABC Inc.,the position which he now holds.

The Goldenson Research Building will be one ofthe five neoclassical structures which compose thequadrangle of Harvard Medical School