Yardfest to Have Two Stages

Council Still Negotiating With College About Use of Alcohol

By Tazeen Ahmad

The first annual Yardfest this Saturday will have two stages featuring live performers, carnival games and activities and free food for students with Harvard ID, Undergraduate Council leaders said yesterday.

The council will spend $16,600 to sponsor Yardfest, which member John A. Mann' 92-'94 describes as a "single big unifying event" for the entire campus.

The event will be "one day when everyone at Harvard from Gov jocks to pre-meds puts aside their work, leaves their rooms and comes to the Yard where we all started off," said Mann, who co-chairs the council's committee on campus life.

Council President Carey W. Gabay '94 said the council is still negotiating with College officials about the use of alcohol at Yardfest. Mann said there will be no alcohol served in the Yard itself.

The council's festival is not the only campus-wide event scheduled for this weekend, Harvard will sponsor its annual Arts First celebration at exactly the same time as Yardfest.

"I'm glad they're putting this event together but the timing isn't the best," said Patricia L. Toro '94. "Arts First takes place on the same weekend and people will not be able to do everything at once."

Although the two events conflict, Arts First student committee member Anna R. Ackerberg '95 said she does not think the overlap will be a problem.

"We have no hostile feelings toward the U.C. or Yardfest," she said.

Yardfest events will take place in three locations: in the back of Littauer Quad, in front of the Science Center and on the steps of Memorial Church.

The events on the main stage at Memorial Church will take place between noon and 4 p.m., and will include performances from two Harvard bands and hip-hop recording artists Wu Tang Clan.

The second stage, at the Science Center will feature eight Harvard bands andLuko Adjaffi, a reggae artist known for hisperformances in Harvard Square.

At the Littauer Quad, students can participatein carnival events; mini golf, gyrosphere, a dunktank, moonbounce, speed pitch baseball andbasketball hoops will all be featured.

Houses will compete in co-ed "tug-of-war" onSaturday. The council will present prizes torepresentatives from the two winning houses.

The first place winners will be treated to akeg party, which Gabay said will be strictlychaperoned by house tutors. The second place teamwill get an ice cream party.

The council has publicized the event with 6,000fliers door-dropped and mailed to students. Mannsaid the council's goal is to "have at least half,if not all, of Harvard's students attend theevents of the day"

Despite the council's efforts to generatepublicity, some students still said they knowlittle about this weekend's activities.

"Some of my friends were talking about going tohear the bands play but I don't know exactlywhat's going on," Ann C. Hwang '97 said. "I'm alittle skeptical about it because the eventshaven't been well publicized."

"The free food sounds great, but it reallydoesn't affect my life much," Robert J. Lucier '96said.

Some students, however, said they areenthusiastic about the events.

"I think Yardfest if a good move by theUndergraduate Council as far as creating acampus-wide social event," Daryl J. Paraguya '96said . "the parties will be a good place wherepeople can meet each other."

The council has hired Harvard University Policeofficers to provide extra security during theevents. The council has also established acommittee to oversee cleanup of the Yard after theevents