Flynn Will Not Enter Gubernatorial Race

By Manlio A. Goetzl

After months of false starts and waffling, Vatican ambassador and former Boston mayor Raymond L. Flynn has decided not to enter this year's race for governor.

"I will not be a candidate for the Democratic nomination for governor of Massachusetts in 1994," Flynn said in a statement issued Tuesday night.

Just last month, Flynn reportedly told two state labor union officials at an AFL-CIO conference in Florida that he had made up his mind to become a gubernatorial candidate, according to The Boston Globe.

In recent weeks, however, The Globe reported that a former Flynn campaign aide had embezzled $250,000 from his campaign, and that Flynn checked his son into McLean Hospital in Belmont for treatment for mental health problems.

"As parents, Cathy and I are very concerned about our son's condition," Flynn said in the statement. "What he needs now is our love, support and attention over the difficult days ahead. As a family, we are prepared to offer that support."

Flynn's decision to remain in his Vatican post leaves three declared Democratic candidates for the state's top job. State Sen. Michael J. Barrett '70 (D-Cambridge), state Rep. Mark Roosevelt '78 (D-Beacon Hill) and former state Sen. George Bachrach of Watertown. They have already officially announced their intentions to challenge Gov. William F. Weld '66 in November.

Spokesperson for the three Democratic challengers said Flynn's decision will hopefully focus the media's attention on their campaigns.

"The field has been set for awhile, now's it definite," said Barrett spokesperson Kenneth A. Bamberger '90. "Now the media focus will be on whoever isin the race."

"It signals that one of three candidates willbe the answer to Bill Weld," said Elizabeth L.Belkin, Bachrach's press secretary. "Let the gamesbegin.