Higher Taxes Can Aid Schools

Lt. Gov. Candidate Draisen Explains Platform at Quincy

By Manlio A. Goetzl

Massachusetts residents should pay higher taxes in order to improve schools, lieutenant governor candidate Marc Draisen said yesterday during a dinner speech in Quincy House.

"If we're going to have to raise taxes to educate children, then we're going to have to do it," said Draisen, a Democratic state representative whose district includes parts of Boston and Brookline.

During the speech, Draisen emphasized his experience in the state legislature and discussed the year's two hot-button issues: crime and health care reform.

The Roslindale resident and two-term representative discussed the state Motor Voter Act and the Democratic Jobs and Growth Bill, both of which he sponsored.

The Motor Voter Act allows people to register to vote when they obtain their driver's license.

"It's the most substantial increase in enfranchisement rights since World War II," Draisen said.

Draisen also discussed the state's education system and his proposals for making the state's schools more competitive.

"We need much more professional development for teachers, when they start and throughout their careers," Draisen said. "We also need smaller class sizes and more early childhood education."

Draisen said that while he favors lengthening the school year or the school day, he is skeptical of whether either measure will actually help the state's educational system.

"I think we will see a modest increase in the school year, probably to 190 or 195 days by the end of the century," Draisen said.

Draisen attacked the record of Gov. William F. Weld '66 on crime. He said Weld offers "tough talk on crime" but has done little to solve the problem.

"He thinks that if we institute the death penalty and three strikes you're out, we'll all be safer," Draisen said. "Yet, he doesn't want programs which will prevent crime...[Weld] is not a believer in drug treatment."

Draisen said the crimes of most people are "directly or indirectly related to their [substance] abuse."

"Unless we deal with the drug problem," Draisen said, "they're going to be coming back, no matter what we do."